Frost Clogging Furnace Air Intake - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2009, 03:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

frost clogging furnace air intake

I have a high efficency gas furnace installed to manufacturers recomendations with both exhaust and intake air exiting the house thru a side wall. Occasionally in the winter (it seeems more often this winter)the air intake will frost up and clog the intake (3") pipe and shuts down the furnace. Is there any good way to prevent this happening? Thanks

Advertisement

geep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Nope. I have many installed for our customers exactly like they should be and still have a lot of problems this year. More than normal. Now if it isnt installed correct you will have even more problems.

Advertisement

JohnH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

The frost is usually caused by recirculating a little flue gase which contains moisture. About the only way to correct it is to increase the distance between the intake and exhaust. Maybe snorkel the exhaust.
SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 912

Post some pics of it and the surrounding area. If you have bushes/fence/corner wall nearby that can cause the wind to swirl and under the right conditions cause recirculation of the exhaust to the intake. Removing any snow or bushes nearby can sometimes help.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:03 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the advice, the real problem is that we will be away for a month and I am afraid it will shut down the furnace and the neighbor watching the house will not know what to do. I wonder if I put a solid divider between the exhaust and intake if that will keep enough of the moisture laden exhaust away from the intake and avoid the frost, or another alternative install a "Y" in the intake with a removable cap and simply open it while we are away. The basement is not air tight or heated.
geep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:32 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 912

MAKE sure the neighbor knows what to do/how to unplug the pipe and reset the power to the furnace to start the unit. Until you have a proven method to prevent that from happening I would not tempt fate. My Dad drains his water pipes/shuts off gas to water heater/leaves his taps open when he goes away to Texas for the winter. Also has a alarm co monitor the basement temp and gets the neighbor to check the house.

Advertisement

Last edited by yuri; 01-22-2009 at 07:32 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote