Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2010, 10:06 PM   #1

Share |

Frost around pipe from Heat Pump to furnace

Last week I changed the location of my thermostat due to some inside renovations. I made sure everything was wired correctly, but ever since I removed it only cold air blows from the registers. This went on for a week, and while it would periodically blow heat, for the most part it only blew cold.

Tonight I just happened to walk past the heat pump and noticed ice around the pipe from the heat pump to the furnace in the attic. I looked inside the heat pump and the piping was completely covered in ice and frost. I went in the attic and there was frost around all the piping (I could see it where the insulation was tied to the pipe).

I am not sure what is wrong with the system, I know it was something that I had done because I didn't notice anything until I moved the thermostat. Also this entire winter the heat pump would run very loudly, but didn't notice anything wrong with the pipes or anything else. Any help would be much appreciated and have a good day!

Thank you,
William

Heat Pump: Amana TempAssure RFH24

stumpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:48 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Might be low on charge, since you said it was loud this winter.

Was last week, the first time you used it cor cooling since you changed the thermostat.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:53 AM   #3

Check in the thermostat for wires shorted. Also see if there's a little switch labled O/B, it should be in the O position.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:55 AM   #4

beenthere: After I check the O/B switch I'll look into getting it recharged, and I was actually using the heat pump for heating last week. I think that's why I was suprised to see everything frosted.

Marty S: I'll check the O/B switch, I remember seeing that while fixing the wires, I'll also check to see if there's anything exposed in the wiring that would cause a short. Can you tell me what the O/B switch is for? What to they stand for?

Thank you guys! If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know!
Old 04-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #5

That's the 24 volts to your reversing valve. Most heat pumps energize it in cooling, the O position. Rheem/ Ruud is the only one I know of the uses the B position. A short in the O wire or the switch in the wrong position will have it cooling when calling for heat and cause the freeze up.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:45 PM   #6

Thank you guys! It looked like the switch was accidentally set to B when I moved it. Now, if I could only make that sound go away. I will probably see if a friend knows a friend in HVAC that can come out and help me. If I have any other problems I will definitely be back here! Thanks again.