Friedrich Ductless Problem - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
DIY Homeowner

Rewards Points: 75

Friedrich ductless problem

I have a Friedrich ductless heat pump M18Y3F with an inoperative outside unit. Wall unit blows air with A/C or heat is selected, but nothing from the outdoor unit but a slight tick every few seconds. This unit has a fault indicator system that works with flashing lights on the wall unit, but these give no indication of a problem. I've cycled power off and back on to the whole system, and waited out the 5-minute compressor cycle time. Still nothing. Since the outdoor unit is making a ticking noise, I have to assume its power fuse is good.

And yes, I've definitely pushed the thermostat setting both up and down enough to get some action out of the thing. Anyone else ever had one of these things suddenly go dead (and dumb, apparently).

Advertisement

Last edited by BRO931; 07-12-2010 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Got the test lights to display, but shows no problem.
BRO931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
DIY Homeowner

So nobody wants to offer a guess as to what's going on with my Friedrich ductless heat pump. I'm at a loss at this point too.

I did get the outdoor unit to come alive once the power had been off overnight. It spun the fan and even started the compressor for a minute or two. But once it started blowing cool air from the indoor unit, the outdoor unit shut down again. And still no sign of trouble from the fault indicator lights. My guess is a bad controller PC board. I'm sure this thing would indicate a fault if the R-410a charge was low or the compressor was hurt.

Since Friedrich is a rather rare species in my parts, I had to call a general service shop who I hope knows their way around these systems. No Friedrich shops within 100 miles. Friedrich does list them on their web site though. I'll update with the results when available.

In the mean time, any clues/ideas from the chatroom would be appreciated.

Advertisement

Old 07-20-2010, 08:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

LOL at 10 AM we're all at work. My guess is a bad capacitor.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:33 PM   #4
DIY Homeowner

Final verdict from certified Friedrich service rep, a bad controller board. He suspects lightning-induced power surge as there was some evidence of heating at a couple of places on the metal cover over the board. He said he rarely sees a bad board on these units. New board is $237 from Friedrich parts dealer.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
DIY Homeowner

Well, the "certified" repairman for my Friedrich mini-split installed a new control board yesterday, to the tune of $235 + labor. He split the scene after turning the unit on and seeing it run. When I got home (wife was monitoring the repair) the outdoor unit was shut down just like before.

It seems this repair guy is not doing anything I could not do. He's just swapping in parts hoping to fix the problem.

After calling last night and again this morning and getting nothing but voice mail, I decided to stop payment on the parts charge. I don't think I should pay for a part that did nothing to solve the problem. Am I being too harsh here?

He finally got back with me and is scheduled to try again tomorrow. If there was another repair service in my area, I'd certainly try them. But alas, he is the only game in town.