Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2010, 08:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Friedrich ductless blower motor replacement

I am replacing the indoor blower motor on a mini split Friedrich M18Y3F. While still mounted on the wall I took off covers and bracket holding the motor in. It it not obvious to me how the shaft connects to the squirrel cage. The motor is now somewhat loose but is still retained by the shaft. The shaft on the new motor has a small reduction in diameter for the first 1/4" and then after another 1/4" has about an additional 1/2"(shaft length) of the small amount of diameter reduction. It appears that if access is needed to the cage everything must come off the wall and come apart. Can anyone tell me how the shaft releases and then is reconnected? (I am extremely remote and getting a service tech on site is very problematic)
Thanks,
Jon

jon d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

is it possible the motor unclips off the mounts and the entire squirrel shroud cover(s) drop down as a entire unit..so you end up holding the motor in hand,and the shrouds are hanging on the squirrel cages..?if you do do the motor change make sure you mark the squirrel cages..they should be retaining clip held onto the shaft like the air cleaner hose on a car and you use a needle nose to pinch it..the blower wheels if plastic are very fragile watch it when you grab them.that could ruin your day........i will search an applience site i have to see an exploded view...can you give up the model number of the evap section on that wall..if the motor isn't locked up you might beable to flip a speed wire..if it is try some WD40 down the shaft to loosin' up spinning it in the opposite direction ...check downloads and manuals on their site http://www.friedrich.com/products/du...nted/overview/

Last edited by biggles; 07-11-2010 at 08:53 AM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:22 AM   #3

Thanks for your comments, the motor itself is now completely loose except for the shaft. (Current motor works - just very loud) This is a compact unit. It looks as though if access is needed behind the coils that it would have to come off the wall. (Pump down, vacuum, etc would be required) I had already looked at the installation and service manuals and still cannot find if it is necessary to remove the unit from the wall. (inside unit model number is MW18Y3F) I have replaced blower motors on fans and window units but all I have previously done have a flat spot or keyway on the shaft and - not easy - but easier access. Even if I pulled it down and apart I do not know how access would be obtained through the "crossflow fan assembly" (I would call it a squirrel cage or blower wheel - perhaps incorrectly) I am hoping there is some procedure to remove the motor with this kind of shaft without pulling the entire unit down and apart.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

that 1/4 " tappered end of the shaft leads me to believe it is just pushed on and tightens up as it goes oto the 1/2" shaft,,,that shroud and squirrel has to drop down with hand under motor...that unit won't last a season if AC techs had to do all the freon work just to change an electrical item like a fan...call Friedrich monday and see what they say
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:16 AM   #5

Update - Just in case anyone finds this thread looking for info. The whole drain pan comes down with the blower and fan motor. After electrical is removed the drain line must be removed from pan (need 90 degree screwdriver or slack in drain line to remove later). Two screws on the left and one on the right are removed and the whole assembly drops down and out. There is a set screw on a collar that goes over the motor shaft. It took less than an hour to complete once I knew how it came apart but I generally would not recommend this as DIY unless you have to.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #6

Have to replace mine too Motor feedback is bad
Servive manual show blow up of parts
drum is attached to the shaft motor with a screw on flat portion of the shaft
The whole drain pan has to come down

jma123 is offline   Reply With Quote