Fresh Air Intake - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fresh Air intake

what happens when the fresh air intake pvc thru the chimney was not attached/glued/sealed. Does this then suck all the air/ddirt from the house into the furnace filters and get stuck on the fan ?? Is there risk of co poisoning ??? also installers did not install furnace with a ground and have the water heater on same. Urgent

Advertisement

needadvisenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
how

Rewards Points: 624

Fresh Air intake

Confirm what heating system you have?
A PVC air intake probably means a 90% furnace with a sealed combustion chamber. The air supply should go directly through the heat exchanger and back outside through the venting PVC line. My concern with unglued fittings would be if they came apart, the furnace air pressure switch might start shutting down the furnace.

I don't know what you are saying about the furnace having no ground? A high efficiency furnace mother board would not work without a ground.

Advertisement

Last edited by how; 05-10-2012 at 07:02 PM.
how is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to how For This Useful Post:
needadvisenow (05-11-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #3

Fresh Air intake

. the technician said the one that was not connected was the Intake . I understand "no ground to furnace" to mean it was not a 3 prong plug and he said tha the water heater should not ne plugged in same place requireing I hire an electrician to make a separate plug in. CarrierWeathermaker Infinity furnace with 2 pvc pipes that go out the chimney I'm told any repairs are my cost as the 5 year warrantyexpired 2009. Is this not instakllation issue rather than the warranty of the product. It was installed by so called professionals
Old 05-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
how

Fresh Air intake

Running the PVC vent and intake lines up a chimney is often troublesome for pressure switches even when done correctly. Is the intake completely detached or is it just unglued? If its detached, reattach it to see if the furnace will operate through a heating cycle. The intake is sometimes detached by fools when the pressure switch starts shutting off the furnace.
Let us know how it goes.

Your furnace must actually be presently grounded in some way in order to work. It was not installed by professionals and it probably wasn't ever inspected either. It still needs to be properly grounded by an electrician with it's own designated circuit and circuit breaker.
The Following User Says Thank You to how For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
REP

Rewards Points: 500

Fresh Air intake

If it is in fact the intake pipe that was not glued,its not that big a deal unless the furnace is kicking out on the pressure switch.There is no worry about toxic gases.
The furnace should be on its own circut and when the new circut is installed it will I'm sure have a ground.
If it had been me that servied your house I would have informed you of what I found but I would have told you that the unit might be fine even if they didn't run the intake pipe at all.Plenty of the 90+ furnaces have un piped intakes.In your case there might be a very small ammount of house air being used for combustion .I repeat a very minimal amount of house air being used.In other words its nothing to even think about.
Oh and by the way there is a differance between being grounded and polarity.Your furnace ignition would not work if you had the wrong polarity but it would work with an equipment ground.

Last edited by REP; 05-10-2012 at 08:30 PM.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to REP For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2012, 12:07 AM   #6

Fresh Air intake

I am releived to hear the detached intake pipe being not a great problem. I have little faith with the professional installers and the city inspector as the hot water tank and furnace were installed at the same time. The house is 83 years old . To be told now that they should have been wired differently is discerning as they are the ones who installed the equipment. I appreciate all responses as I am confused about what the technician meant. Any idea wht "not grounded" meant as he referred to the plug in only being two pronged, not three. Shouls the installers not have known to do two sepater electirical lines when installing the furnace and hot water heater together. ? Would an independent professional be in my best interest as I have little faith in the original installation
Old 05-11-2012, 12:22 AM   #7
REP

Rewards Points: 500

Fresh Air intake

If he knew what he was talking about then it means that your furnace circut is not grounded.
In any 115 volt circut wire you have a hot and a neutral and usually a bare copper ground wire back to the breaker panel which is grounded to the ,,,,well the outside ground ,,you know the dirt.
Whoever did the wiring should have run seperate circuts for the furnace and the hot water tank.But in order to save $15 dollars in matwerial they only ran one circut for both units.
You know I have been asked many times why my price is higher than someone elose.This is just one of a hundred things that could account for it.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:31 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 524

Fresh Air intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by needadvisenow View Post
Any idea wht "not grounded" meant as he referred to the plug in only being two pronged, not three.
Are you saying that the furnace is a plug in power supply and not hard wired?
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
how

Fresh Air intake

Your CarrierWeathermaker Infinity instalation instructions state...
Furnace must be grounded for proper operation, or control will lock out.

Your furnace is probably presently grounded via the ducting and gas piping but if you go back to any of the manufacturers with a complaint about frequent mother board failures, grounding issues are claimed as their number one culprit.

This site is filled with examples of erratic board problems related to poor furnace grounds and their related solutions. Most led diagnostic codes on furnaces today include poor furnace grounding as a fault.

Both reversed polarity And faulty grounds can down a furnace. Grounding is both a safety and board performance issue.

Last edited by how; 05-11-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,734

Fresh Air intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpik View Post
Are you saying that the furnace is a plug in power supply and not hard wired?
Thats common in many areas. And automatically provides a means of service disconnect.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 524

Fresh Air intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Thats common in many areas. And automatically provides a means of service disconnect.
Well, you learn something new every day. Never have seen that in my area and I have been fixing these things for over thirty years now
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,734

Fresh Air intake

Not something that is common here.

Advertisement

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote