Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2010, 05:20 PM   #1

Share |

freon leak

Hi, first thank you to everybody, I need some advice about my air conditioning unit, today a technician came and told me I have to replace the whole AC unit inside and outside because there is a leak in the coils inside, he told me that the reason was the factories are not producing anymore the units with R 22, instead they are producing the new one with 410. Could be someone be so kind and help me with it, frankly I don't have the money to replace the whole AC, and I don't know what to do, thanks in advance for your help.

havanero192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:55 PM   #2

freon leak

A 410A coil can be put on your old system. Just needs to use the correct R22 metering device. Having said that, think hard about it before spending a $1000 to repair an old system. If it's more then 12 years old a whole system is the smart money in the long run.

Not everyone can afford a new AC so do what works for you. Maybe a window air or two might be the best short term solution.

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
HVAC / Plumbing

freon leak

just to add to what marty said.. if you replace the A coil & later your condenser goes. your A coil will need to be flushed & another metering device for 410A. Also when you split the system up like that you have less warranty. If you just buy A coil or just condenser you get 5 yr warranty. If you purchase together you get 10 yr on both..Don't know if that's ture with all models. that's what goodman distributor tells me
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:32 AM   #4

freon leak

I would definitely get another opinion, quite a few people don't, even though it's a lot of money. I'm not saying your contractor is wrong or is a rip I'm just saying. There are still R-22 coils around depending on the age of the equipment you would have to pay now or later. if the coil is replaced you might get several years out of it. When the other guy comes out if you do get a 2ND just keep quite , let him trouble shoot it that's what you pay for. I remember guys troubleshooting A/Cs they went to the customers house and the customer say I think I need a new compressor to the mechanic then the mechanic would look around a little bit and say you were right the compressor is bad, the point is the customer is happy paying because he was RIGHT. EGO thing.
Honey I was RIGHT we need a new compressor get out the checkbook.

Last edited by COLDIRON; 11-24-2010 at 06:34 AM. Reason: CHANGED ANSWER
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote