Freon Leak - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2010, 10:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Freon Leak

2 years ago my outside compressor went bad - I had 4 companies come out that day (was the first week of a super heat wave at the beginning of summer) One of the companies that came out gave me a quote that was pretty good and the tech lived around the corner form me so he offered to save me a lot of money by buying the unit and I would throw him some $$ to install it. I regret that now but the tiems were tough and I was strapped for cash.

After installed the unit ran perfectly for the entire summer. Last year at the beginning of the next summer the unit ran fine but no cold air. I had him come out and I wasnt home when he came but he informed me he had to re-charge the freon. Again the system ran fine for the entire summer.

Now I fired up the AC about 2 weeks ago and again ... warm air. The number I had for this guy was no longer good so i had to call in an HVAC company and they charged the system again but couldnt find any clearly evident leaks so he put in a dye capsule and informed me to call him when the unit runs warm again so he could track down the leak.

Yesterday i was able to find the guy that originally installed the unit (which is a Goodman) and he informed me there is a recall on the unit because of a freon leak at the outside compressor. He informed me that Goodman's repair for the recall is to place some leak sealant where the leak is (cant remember the actual valve name or component where the leak is). Anyway he is coming tonight to seal the leak. He also informed me the elak ocurrs during the winter months when the weather is cold... that is why my unit runs fine all summer until the first warm weather the next season because the freon leaks out during the cold winter months.

My questions are...

1. Does anyone know if this recall with goodman? I have been unable to find anything online.

2. Will a blacklight show the leak? since the tech 2 weeks ago put a dye capusle in there or is there a special light I would need.

Just looking fo rany advice and I will never take this "Cheap" route again!

Thnaks in advance

Advertisement

captainron19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,472

Freon Leak

The leak may be at the service valve. Thats where it was when the recall came out 2 years ago. About the time he installed it for you.

Any good leak detector should be able to pick up the leak if thats where it was coming from.

Did he really install just a condenser on your old indoor coil? You were had.

Advertisement

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Freon Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post

Did he really install just a condenser on your old indoor coil? You were had.
Everything inside was replaced the previous season when we had our heater and inside unit replaced
captainron19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,472

Freon Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainron19 View Post
Everything inside was replaced the previous season when we had our heater and inside unit replaced
So is the outdoor unit, the same brand as the indoor coil. And does it have an AHRI listing proving its a matched system.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote