Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2008, 10:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

freeze up

Goodman CK 30-1B condenser - unit is 12 years old

recently get line freeze up after 1 hr

service tech says it is a bad compressor - he checked freon and tried adding a line dryer additive -

he also said there is no liquid line filter and was surprised it was 12 years with no problem.

Last edited by typhoon55; 07-13-2008 at 11:12 AM.
typhoon55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #2
oops, did I do that!

Rewards Points: 250

freeze up

Are the filters, evaporator (inside coil) and blower clean? If there is a belt is it relatively tight? Maybe low on charge- freon. I wouldnt write off the compressor just yet.

Trust me, there are a lot of 12yr old units out there with no filter driers.

Last edited by 8 Ball; 07-13-2008 at 11:08 AM.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:12 AM   #3

freeze up

coils and filter are clean
no belt
unit runs fine but after 1 hr. will start to freeze
refrigerent was checked and is good
so line filter is optional?
Old 07-13-2008, 11:16 AM   #4
oops, did I do that!

freeze up

Well, not necessarily, filter driers absorb and store moisture, primarily. You replied that refrigerant was fine. What were the pressures?

Are you sure the blower motor is on high speed? Switching it at the stat to manual, would call for high speed.

Last edited by 8 Ball; 07-13-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #5

freeze up

the tech checked the pressures and commented that the blue line kept climbing higher when it should remain at 150 - 160

the fan is on high speed - i believe it only has one speed

i have 2 identical condensers side by side and fan speed is same on both
Old 07-13-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
oops, did I do that!

freeze up

What I was refering to re. speed, was the indoor blower.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:35 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

freeze up

A filter dryer should be put on every unit, but its true many dont and run for 20 years. was the amp draw of the compressor checked. What I have seen is worn compressors start to shave off peices of the inner mech. and the piston gets clogged. not saying that that is the case but I have seen it and it matches the symptoms.
with any 12 year old or older system that is faceing a major repair replacement should be considered . dont get me wrong in my house ill replace any and everything before i replace ( because its free to repair ) in the general public case it is a resonable option.
That being said get a second oponion before making ANY desicions
geo fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:04 AM   #8

freeze up

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo fan View Post
A filter dryer should be put on every unit, but its true many dont and run for 20 years. was the amp draw of the compressor checked. What I have seen is worn compressors start to shave off peices of the inner mech. and the piston gets clogged. not saying that that is the case but I have seen it and it matches the symptoms.
with any 12 year old or older system that is faceing a major repair replacement should be considered . dont get me wrong in my house ill replace any and everything before i replace ( because its free to repair ) in the general public case it is a resonable option.
That being said get a second oponion before making ANY desicions
no, amp draw was not checked
it seems that maybe compressor is clogged? is that an easy fix or just a sign of compressor starting to go?>
Old 07-14-2008, 07:08 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 150

freeze up

the compressor is not cloggs most likely the expansion device inside . the eisey test is amp draw , resistance of the windings, and if the pressures are fluctuating ( this last one can be a sign of a few things)
geo fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:34 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

freeze up

Maybe beside the point, but I dont really see clearly how a bad compressor can cause the suction line to freeze up. I would be more apt to think it is an airflow, restriction or refrigerant leak issue. If the valves go on a compressor, more often than not you will get higher suction pressures and/or lower discharge pressures, resulting in no cooling and a pretty hot compressor.
statman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:50 AM   #11

freeze up

Quote:
Originally Posted by statman View Post
Maybe beside the point, but I dont really see clearly how a bad compressor can cause the suction line to freeze up. I would be more apt to think it is an airflow, restriction or refrigerant leak issue. If the valves go on a compressor, more often than not you will get higher suction pressures and/or lower discharge pressures, resulting in no cooling and a pretty hot compressor.
checked coils inside and filter and will blow cold for about 1 hour but will then start to freeze up
if expansion device faulty - can that be replaced?

Last edited by typhoon55; 07-14-2008 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:34 PM   #12

freeze up

Find out what the running pressures are. For R-22, you should be anywhere from about 60 - 78 psi on the suction side, 190- 240 psi on the high side dependant upon heat load and the weather outside. R410 is about 105-125 suction and 240 - 300+ high side. (Before you ac guys rag on me about the pressures, remember I live in canada....NOT the deep south. lol) If the pressures are consistently below the minimums, the unit will freeze up. I am guessing the "additive" he put in the system was superseal - trying to patch up a suspected leak in your system. And that is more than likely the issue in your case i think. Yes by the way an expansion valve or orifice can be replaced.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:24 PM   #13

freeze up

Quote:
Originally Posted by statman View Post
Find out what the running pressures are. For R-22, you should be anywhere from about 60 - 78 psi on the suction side, 190- 240 psi on the high side dependant upon heat load and the weather outside. R410 is about 105-125 suction and 240 - 300+ high side. (Before you ac guys rag on me about the pressures, remember I live in canada....NOT the deep south. lol) If the pressures are consistently below the minimums, the unit will freeze up. I am guessing the "additive" he put in the system was superseal - trying to patch up a suspected leak in your system. And that is more than likely the issue in your case i think. Yes by the way an expansion valve or orifice can be replaced.
the additive was a drying agent
i believe the suction side has a blue line to guage which would keep climbing higher as unit ran instead of staying at 60 -70 psi
would this indicate expansion valve symptom?
Old 07-14-2008, 06:09 PM   #14
oops, did I do that!

freeze up

Isnt Michigan in Canada? Internal bypass in compressor?
Old 07-14-2008, 08:19 PM   #15

freeze up

Ok 8 ball...you are close enough to be a honorary canadian...lol. (We dont have very high standards...they let me in.) You ever hear of an add in drying agent? What would be the point unless you had a leak and alot of moisture got in the system or it was never evacuated properly?
Strange that the suction would ice up though if the internal was going. Can he pump down the compressor ( close the suction valve and see if the compressor will pull down and hold slightly?) I agree with your tech except the ice is the part that concerns me.