Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2011, 05:32 PM   #1

Share |

Forced hot air conversion questions.

I have a small apartment that is heated with a boiler and cast iron baseboard right now. The boiler needs to be replaced and I'm considering switching to forced hot air and adding central A/C. The boiler is 60,000 btu and more then enough for the area (about 22 x 20). The furnace would have to be horizontally installed in the attic and vented through the roof, most furnaces I see and for a vertical install. It might be possible to install it vertically in the basement but I'd rather keep it in the attic. All the rooms (kitchen, bath, bedroom and living area) can be accessed through the attic and it would be very short runs.

About what would it cost in parts for the furnace, A/C unit and whatever other major parts I'd need? It's going to cost me about $1800 to replace the boiler anyway so, I figure if I can get A/C and clear out the boiler area for the water heater which is currently in the attic and it's not going to cost a fortune it's a much better setup.

How much exactly would be involved in getting ducts down. Can pretty much everything be run through a 2x4 wall in a space that size? One room does have cathedral ceilings so I could easily get one large duct up high if necessary.

Last edited by Tmb9862; 01-26-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Tmb9862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Generally can't run a duct down a wall cavity after the drywall is on.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:57 PM   #3

if you are in a norther clime or have cold long winter you want the furnace in the basement and floor registers.