Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #1

Share |

Forced air registers - open / closed - what is more efficient?

Out house is about 2400sq ft not including our finished basement (1200 per floor - rectangular). The furnace in the basement is on the far left of the house. My issue is the registers on the first floor on the far left (so directly above the furnace) BLAST out hot air (mud room, laundry room and half bath). The registers on the far right of the house (living room and office) only let out warm air maybe 1/4 that of the other side.

Upstairs, on the far left of the house (master bath) the air comes out both registers heavily whereas the bedrooms & guest bath on the far right (above the living room and office) just BARELY let out slightly warm air (if you put your hand right to it).

Vents in the center of the house are so-so obviously (dining room, kitchen, cathedral foyer, nursery, master bedroom). Downstairs is a lot better then upstairs though.

House is 13 years old his year - I'm the second owner, otherwise I would have had the dual heat / air option installed when built.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I tried turning off the vents downstairs on the far left which blast out and that seemed to help some, but I'm not sure if that's the best way of going or not - read some articles about restricting the blower could overheat it. Any other suggestions?

Is it OK to turn off these vents or is it better flow wise to leave everything opened up?

Old 04-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
Special User

The fan motor should only burn up if you close off a lot of vents. If you're only partially closing off a few of the vents and leaving the far ones wide open, it "shouldn't" be a problem.

For peace of mind, after balancing the system to your satisfaction, use a clamp-on ammeter on the blower motor wire to make sure it's drawing equal to or less than it's FLA (Full Load Amp rating as displayed on a plate or sticker on the motor itself).

Old 04-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #3

Thanks - ill check it out. If the blower was weak and had to be replaced with a stronger one, wouldn't that just force even more air up through the vents downstairs on the left? Right now I can feel the air coming through those vents when my hand is over 5' in the air!
Old 04-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #4

you should be running HI fan in cooling or fan switched on....during heating season LO/LO Med is used never HI fan...do you see a difference going from season to season?....might want to cheat the register closest to the source but never close 100% then work the rooms registers to get it to the lacking areas....trick I use is dropping magazines on the blasting ones and 1/2 cover others to force the air into a questionable room....verify that HI in FAN ONLY stat setting...are all your ducts insulated..or flex silver wrappped
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #5

it sounds like duct work was miss sized...proper sized duct would deliever the needed heat and cooling for each room as the system is running with some little differences....ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote