DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Forced air and radiant system advice needed

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  beenthere 
#1 ·
I could really use some advice. I have an outdoor wood furnace supplying 180 degree water to my house. I have hydronic radiant floor heat on the first floor, it works great. We could not put radiant on the second floor so we have a heat pump there. Now I would like to run a hot water line from my wood furnace to the second floor and put a water-to-air exchanger in the air handler. Should I install a second thermostat to just turn on the fan or should I try to wire everything to a single fancy t-stat? My heat pump has normal heat and emergency heat so adding the hot water heat would make 3 stages, right? Naturally I want to use the hot water as the primary heat source, say set that to 72, then have the heat pump kick on at 65 in emergencies or when I can't feed the fire. Anybody done this? Any advice? Thanks.

#2 ·
It can be done.
But it takes a higher end thermostat.

You will also need to redo some of your duct work, because the hydro coil will restrict air flow. And could cause trouble for teh HP compressor in both heating and cooling mode.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.