Forced Air Heating System Questions - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2009, 03:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

forced air heating system questions

i am planning on installing a forced air natural gas furnace. the house is stucco, 4br, 1904 sq. ft. the house had radiant heat, but due to the multiple hard to fix leaks in the lines and thr broken boiler, i am opting to install forced air. it needs vents and everything. i just have some general questions, looking for a starting point for this. what are some good types of furnaces? how should i run the vents? where should i put them, high efficiency, high velocity vents? etc.

Advertisement

drewhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewhart View Post
i am planning on installing a forced air natural gas furnace. the house is stucco, 4br, 1904 sq. ft. the house had radiant heat, but due to the multiple hard to fix leaks in the lines and thr broken boiler, i am opting to install forced air. it needs vents and everything. i just have some general questions, looking for a starting point for this. what are some good types of furnaces? how should i run the vents? where should i put them, high efficiency, high velocity vents? etc.
What part of the country are you in?
1 story 2 story split level?

Advertisement

Dr Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:05 PM   #3

i am in cleveland, ohio. the house is two stories. also i am wondering what types of return vents systems i could use.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:01 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Do you have a place to run ducts up to the attic?

How much cutting do you plan to do Wall openings and such?

Do you have a basement is this where the furnace will go?

Are you prepared to build soffets?

You may want to contact a small local hvac shop, one that does new construction (not just a service shop). Ask them to come and give a estimate; before they come out explain that you would like to do some of the install yourself.

I have helped home owners this way in the past.

You may want to do all the floor, ceiling and wall cutting, have them install the furnace and the ducts. This way the job will be laid out right and you can save a few and get the job done cheaper.
Dr Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:59 AM   #5

yes i need to install all the ducts. there is a normal sized basement where the furnace will go. i dont care about knocking drywall out. i want to do all floor vents for the first floor. and i was thinking of running one vent to the attic that splits to feed the four bedrooms and the bathroom from the ceiling. im sure i can find a spot somewhere to run the a vent up to the attic. maybe somewhere where the water lines for the radiators are. the second floor has the subloor laid before the walls where put up, so i would have to cut out some drywall and cut a hole in this to allow something to run through to the attic. any other advice? how do i calculate the btu rating i will need? the boiler that was in there had an input rating of 131,250 btu. it was from the fifties maybe 60% efficient i would guess.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #6

also for a return vent, could i make a hole in the living room floor, attach a vent here and conect it right back into the furnace so it gets all its air from this one return? no basement air?
Old 01-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #7

oh soffits, those are the areas under the end of the roof right? i think there are soffits there. do i need additional vents in the attic? does anyone know of a good website on ductwork intsallation and thereoy? i cant find any

Advertisement