Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2008, 07:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

forced air on first floor, electric heating on 2nd?

hello,
currently I am having a company installing forced air on the first floor and basement of my home from 1901 (2100 sq ft). The company was hired 4 months ago and just finished the ductwork in the basement, but the furnance is not installed yet. after the first job is done, they plan to do a second furnance in the attic. however, it seems that another job wil take another 4 months at this rate, and I lost hope in them.

I was looking around at electrical heating with ducts or baseboard electric heating for the upstairs. It seems cheaper and maybe something I can accomplish. also, since the furnace has not been ordered yet, I have been trying to get the company to do one furnace for the entire house, however they say the system will not work well and alot of walls will be cut up to get the main ducts up into the attic. I really wish a one furnace system would work, since adding AC later on will be cheaper since I am getting the coil installed now. Can some of you HVAC guys chime in? thanks

BleachCola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:19 AM   #2

Wow 4month per zone co. likes dragging thier feet. It takes me on average 5 days per system. so your house 10 days.They must be very busy A 2 zone set up is the best option i think. I install more 2 zone set up more then single zone. With single zone you will most times have a differant temp between the two floors. depends on the setup 2 seprate thermostats means better control and comfort.. Depending on the prices of fuel and electric would be the decideing factor for heatpumps. baseboard electric I would not do.You could do 1 furnace in basement and add another main duct to feed 2nd floor and add zone controls with each floor with its own thermostat . yes the 1st floor walls would be cut to get duct to 2nd floor room and is standard

Last edited by coolmen; 01-04-2008 at 07:21 AM.
coolmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:58 PM   #3

How are you planning on getting a/c on the 2nd floor w/o ducts?
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmen View Post
Wow 4month per zone co. likes dragging thier feet. It takes me on average 5 days per system. so your house 10 days.They must be very busy A 2 zone set up is the best option i think. I install more 2 zone set up more then single zone. With single zone you will most times have a differant temp between the two floors. depends on the setup 2 seprate thermostats means better control and comfort.. Depending on the prices of fuel and electric would be the decideing factor for heatpumps. baseboard electric I would not do.You could do 1 furnace in basement and add another main duct to feed 2nd floor and add zone controls with each floor with its own thermostat . yes the 1st floor walls would be cut to get duct to 2nd floor room and is standard

ya they are taking their sweet time. also, they had to do drawings for the city that planned out every part of the design, so that took some time etc.

I hope to I can do only 1 furnance in the basement, I have found room to run the main ducts up (I would have to make the first floor bathroom a shower and remove the tub which is fine).

so, would the furnace handle pumping the air into the attic ? also the feeds and returns will be in the cieling, not on the ground and in the upper part of the wall. will this not heat the rooms well enough?
Old 01-04-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
Union HVAC Tech.

Don't change your plan on two furnaces, just chnage out your installer.
bigMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:32 AM   #6

how, I already paid them half of the total sum
Old 01-06-2008, 08:43 AM   #7
Union HVAC Tech.

Small claims court, baseball bat. You always have some recourse. What are you supposed to do sit and wait a few years for them to finish?

bigMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote