Forced Air In 193 Year Old Home? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2009, 11:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Forced Air in 193 Year Old Home?

I'm thinking of buying a 193 year old Victorian and I would like to add forced air so that it can be air conditioned. Its only a two story house and there is a basement under most of it. Right now the home has hot water heating and two window air conditioners in a 2800 sq ft home lol.....

Oddly enough, the first floor has vents but not tubing. The vent just goes right into the basement. I couldn't see anything to indicate that there was ever forced air since the existing hot water heater looks very very old and so does the piping.

So my question is how ridiculous would it be to try and add forced air into a home like this? Since this is an older home, the closets are literally 1' deep so it would be hard to get a pipe through there. Are there any tricks to doing something like this? The first floor would be easy as pie, but the second floor would be a pain in the rear end!

Advertisement

jonathan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:31 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

the closet is the first thing contrators go for when adding HVAC into an exsisting home,you might consider a system for the first floor with air handler in the basement.then a 2nd systems air handler for the attic/2nd floor closet to cover that area.basically you would have 2 zones totally seperate.hi velocity systems are actually PVC piping(no flex duct into the registers) is something to research also for limited applications like that 2nd floor.there should be install companies around you that specialize in what is considered a hi end application on an exsisting home of that age.

Advertisement

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 836

Make sure you get references from them/see pics of their work. Last thing you want is a hatchet job on some priceless old plaster mouldings etc.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote