Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Flue Question for a Boiler and Furnace

I have both a furnace and a boiler both are 75 - 80% efficient, I have the flues tied together with there recommended flue size feeding into a 6 inch pipe that goes out the wall to an old multi-wall flue pie. My question is can I connect to the multi wall buy inserting a 6 inch diamiter pipe up into the the existing 8 and does that connection have to be fitted tight or sealed?

would it be a problem if the bottom of the 8 acted as a draft?

I need to replace the pipe and I want to just push up 6 into the 8 with an elbow or depending on the pysical space available a "T" connection.

Any thoughts?

new jersey mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 34

I would use a 6x8 increaser for a proper fit.....I would also make sure flue pipes are all sized properly and that boiler and furnace have saftys against clogged flue pipes??????? ben

ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:30 AM   #3

Need more info and pictures sounds a little confusing.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:47 AM   #4

Sorry for the confusion.

the furnace flue has a 3 inch x 15foot length of pipe. this goes to a 3 to 4 inch adapter, then a 4 to 6 adapter then connects to a 6inch tee. This is where the boiler connects with it's 4inch flue pipe and 4 to 6 adapter.

The 6 inch tee then connects to a 6inch by 3 ft pipe that exits through the cement wall. on the other side of the wall the pipe has a 6inch elbow.

This is where I have the problem on inspection yesterday I discovered the pipe (90 degree elbow) is rusted and not connected to the vertical flue pipe properly.

The flue pipe outside is very old it has a 12 outer liner with an 8 inch central galvanized flue pipe. I do not know the mfg of the flue.

At this point I know I need a 6 to 8 adapter to sit on top of the elbow. I asked in my original question if I could just slide down a 6inch x 12inch inside the 8 which would leave an opening and now I know that would be wrong.

So I am attaching a picture of the existing 8"flue and if anyone know the mfg I could then get the proper connector to connect and reduce to 6 inch.

My other issue is the original owner left the remainder of an old brick chimney in the way only inches below the elbow or I would use a tee to divert any moisture and or debris.

So here are the pics, do you recognize this pipe?
Attached Thumbnails
Flue Question for a Boiler and Furnace-11.03.11-022.jpg   Flue Question for a Boiler and Furnace-11.03.11-008.jpg   Flue Question for a Boiler and Furnace-11.03.11-019.jpg   Flue Question for a Boiler and Furnace-11.03.11-018.jpg  
Old 11-04-2011, 09:02 AM   #5

Can't you just replace the rusted ell and install a storm collar and rain cap on top of the pipe to keep the water out. Make sure that whole thing is away from any wood it looks pretty close.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:22 AM   #6

I'm getting ready to leave now for an emergency repair to it. The pipe is so old I don't think I will be able to find the mfg replacement parts even if I can find a label/stamp.

For now I will replace with a standard 6 to 8 adapter a galvanized 6inch elbow and any other pipe that shows signs of rust.

But if any one dose know whos' pipe this is it would be great to know. I sure I will be replacing the entire vertical section with new in the future, I just want to make it safe now.