Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2008, 10:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Flu for second floor addition?

I have a cement block and clay lined flu which serves a nat. gas furnace and hot water heater. I will be putting a second floor addition and don't want to build cement/clay.
How can I continue from existing flu to metal? Should I line it and add B-vent or I have to B-vent all the way from bottom?
Or can we put some sort of cap on top of it and continue with B-vent?

What is your opinion on this and I'm sure this question came up before?

Last edited by ptcamaro; 05-04-2008 at 10:10 AM.
ptcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

You have to either extend the brick & morter chimney in it's current style and form, or you can demolish it and install a code compliant gas vent stack. You cannot transition from one style to the other.

LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:15 PM   #3

Can I install install B-Vent inside the flu without demolishing the unnecessary parts. I really don't want to do that if I don't have too.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

You don't need to tear down your chimney. You can install a flue liner. It is relatively easy to install as long as the chimney has a big enough inside dimension. The diameter of the liner will depend on the btu rating of your furnace and hot water heater.
sgthvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthvac View Post
You don't need to tear down your chimney. You can install a flue liner. It is relatively easy to install as long as the chimney has a big enough inside dimension. The diameter of the liner will depend on the btu rating of your furnace and hot water heater.
How do you continue for the second floor addition which there will be no chimney. How would be transition from liner to metal vent to continue through roof?
Old 05-05-2008, 08:05 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcamaro View Post
How do you continue for the second floor addition which there will be no chimney. How would be transition from liner to metal vent to continue through roof?
Which is exactly why I told you what I told you.

You can't install B vent INSIDE a brick flue, therefore there is no such animal as "transitioning" from one to the other.

-have you considered that your existing boiler/furnace migh not be capable of supporting the 2nd story addition and will have to be upgraded? Because if that IS the case, you might want to explore the possibility of converting to a very energy efficient gas furnace/bioler/water heater that vents through a 2" and 3" PVC pipe through either the sidewall of the basement or up through the roof WITHOUT needing a proper chimney of flue.

I have a neighbor whose exterior brick chimney was failing at the mortar joints. It turned out to be LESS EXPENSIVE to replace the entire furnace with one that didn't need a chimney, than to demolish and rebuuild the existing chimney.

Just something to consider...
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:01 PM   #7

My furnace 110000 btu which is more then enough for a 1900 sqf home. Thats why I'm trying to avoid to buy new furnace.
I gues new B-Vent in order either in the same place where fluis(after knocking it down) or on a diffrent place.