Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2007, 07:17 PM   #1

Share |

Florida heat pump -- no heat

Was told there was a jumper required in the thermostat to trick it since there are no heat strips...anyone got some instructions or a diagram

mverrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:04 AM   #2

It's quite the school but it's not impossible, I replaced my aging mechanical thermostat with a programmable digital one, the actual labor took a short afternoon, but I spent most of the additional time learning about the nonsense.

On the notes of electricity, I think most thermostats are 12v so I doubt there's much fear of getting shocked but I would turn off the main fuse to the heat pump if for no other reason than you don't want it kicking off / on while you're fiddling with the thermostat.

I can tell you that you will need to know the manufacturer of your thermostat (such as Honeywell), also whether it has Emheat, and how many and what color wires there are. Since you'll likely have to pull the stupid thing off the wall anyhow, I recommend becoming familiar with the unit. Now there are usually two or four screws that hold it against the wall but before you get that deep you'll want to get the cover off and see if you can get the model number of the thermostat, also write down what color wire connects to what LETTER on the connector as well.

I forget exactly, but the letters are usually like Y, X, W, A, B, R... Weird and apparently totally unrelated but they all mean something, there might be a G also, and I think in some cases there is AB and Y2 or other such odd stuff, anyhow all of this information you want to secure before proceeding.... I think the wires are like green, blue, red, maybe black and yellow, not really sure because it's been some time but they're thin wires, almost like the ones inside your exterior telephone box.

By this stage you might be able to download or obtain a user's manual from the manufacturer's web site as well.

Last edited by 8307c4; 11-06-2007 at 12:14 AM.
8307c4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:45 AM   #3
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Hi Mverill

I am not sure the manufacturer of your thermostat. But this will apply to almost every manufacturer. There can be on some thermostats a RC and RH, these must be jumpered together on a single transformer system. Y is the first stage of heat and should be all you need as far as the heat is concerned if you dont have heat strips. The O terminal must be connected to the reversing valve, this is what makes a heat pump a heat pump. You should have a common terminal in the thermostat, this will either go to C or X which ever one you have. Find my post call Fact about thermostats, this will help you with any wiring questions you might have. Make sure you shut the power off to the system when doin any kind of work on it. At minimum you could short out the thermostat or the transformer. The other possibility we don't want to talk about.

Good luck
Rusty
Old 11-06-2007, 11:08 AM   #4

Thanks for the inputs. I did discover the Fact about Thermostats after I made my post, so hopefully I have all the info I need at this point.

mv
mverrill is offline   Reply With Quote