Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2011, 04:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Floor register selection advice

Hello, I am interested in getting feedback about floor registers/diffusers. I have 4x10 floor registers that are very restrictive and I am not getting the proper throw or spread. For a little backround, I have a two story house with all floor registers. No ceilings diffusers. Ceiling height is 8 feet with the exception of one two-story room with cathedral ceiling. Since I live in MD, heating is generally more important but I am noticing that the registers do a poor job of mixing the room air when cooling. The average cfm per register is about 85 cfm now, but I am planning to add a zoning system which will up that to about 100 cfm or perhaps a little more. I've been looking at Hart & Cooley and Shoemaker registers but would like to get some advice from others. Any recommendations? Are there any good registers that are adjustable for cooling/heating seasons? Is this necessary or are there good all around floor registers available?

Thanks in advance.

mummes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,724

Do you know what model registers you have now.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:55 AM   #3

We have two types of floor registers, all from the previous homeowner. More than half are the cheap decorative kind. The top face is thin metal and the rest is all plastic. They slide open/shut. They look like the Ameriflow Victorian bright brass floor registers (552847). The remaining ones are the more traditional floor registers. I don't know the manufacturer (it doesn't say on the registers), but they look like the Ameriflow traditional functional registers (413B4X10-R).

I definitely need to swap out the decorative kind and probably all of them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Hart&Cooley model 210 floor register at 80 CFM has a throw of 11 foot, and at 100 CFM a throw of 13 foot. This will give you a good mix as the air will continue to travel across your ceiling.

The model 411, will only have a 9 foot throw at 100 CFM and not give as good of a mix. But is more then adequate for many homes.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:12 PM   #5

Doesn't the 411 only have a 5.5 foot throw at 100 cfm with a 9 foot spread? Also, should I be concerned about the 210 not having any spread, e.g. it goes straight up, especially for heating mode?

What are your thoughts on the 421 and 531's? The 531 probabaly will have an excessive face velocity at 100 cfm though, right?

Also, would you choose a different register for the room with the 2-story cathedral ceiling vs. the rooms with the 8ft ceilings?

Sorry, I'm in analysis paralysis mode a little. Thanks for your help so far, beenthere.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Your correct on the 411, I looked at the spread thinking I was looking at the throw.

When you use a register that has a throw greater then the height of the room, you get a spread across your ceiling. A skin effect is caused, and the air travels in all directions with the ceiling. This causes a mixing effect of the 2 airs. The 210 is a good register at doing this.

If your using a register that the air throw won't reach the ceiling, then you need to use a register that has a spread.

The Royalaire's(531) spread listing is at ceiling height, so you would chose a size that just barely reaches the ceiling. And you would increase size to keep the velocity down, so you don't get a lot of noise from it.

The 211 is a great register for cooling in rooms with high ceilings. Such as your 2 story cathedral. Heating will depend on velocity at the register, it needs to hacve enough velocity to pull in the room air with the conditioned air from it as it leaves the register. It also has a lower pressure drop across it when moving 100 CFM then the 421 does.

If heating is your main concern, then probably the 421 will work for you. If cooling, the 210 is better(its not a pretty register compared to the 421). You may find that you want to get the 421's for their spread in cooling(its not as much as in heating), and then get 210's to use in your 2 story room for the cooling season, and switch back to the 421's for heating season.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:56 AM   #7

These are very good recommendations. I had initially dismissed the 210 because of the lack of spread. I have a few questions on some of your comments though.

1. For the 210, you say heating will depend on the velocity at the register. What velocity would be sufficient for either the 2-story room or the rooms with 8ft ceilings? I would assume I would be getting "only" 400-500 lfm with the 210.

2. The 210 has a lower pressure drop than the 410. What are the implications of this?

3. The 410 should give me 6-10 feet of throw, 5-7.5 feet of spread. Some of my upper floor, floor registers don't blow as hard. Would that be sufficient for good mixing in heating and cooling for rooms with 8ft ceilings? And you say that the spread will be less in cooling than in heating? How much so?

4. Would it be better to get the 411's for the 2-story room during heating season because of the better spread and lower throw compared to the 421?

Thanks.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummes View Post
These are very good recommendations. I had initially dismissed the 210 because of the lack of spread. I have a few questions on some of your comments though.

1. For the 210, you say heating will depend on the velocity at the register. What velocity would be sufficient for either the 2-story room or the rooms with 8ft ceilings? I would assume I would be getting "only" 400-500 lfm with the 210.

At 400 FPM, the air will still hit a 11' high ceiling. In the 2 story room, you would want 600 FPM. But you would need at least a 7" supply to the 4X10 register boot to get that.

2. The 210 has a lower pressure drop than the 410. What are the implications of this?

Better air flow. it won't hinder your blowers abilit to move air as much as the 411.

3. The 410 should give me 6-10 feet of throw, 5-7.5 feet of spread. Some of my upper floor, floor registers don't blow as hard. Would that be sufficient for good mixing in heating and cooling for rooms with 8ft ceilings? And you say that the spread will be less in cooling than in heating? How much so?

Spread will be somewhere between none and 50% in cooling.

4. Would it be better to get the 411's for the 2-story room during heating season because of the better spread and lower throw compared to the 421?

Thanks.
The 411s may work better for heating in the 2 story room. Have to be careful that they don't lower your air flow too much in that room though. Or you could end up with the same results as your current registers.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:41 PM   #9

Thanks again, beenthere. I looked at the pressure drops for the 411 and 421 and they are identical for a given cfm/fpm. So when would you prefer the 411 over the 421? Now the spread is much higher for the 411 than the 421 (inverse for the throw). So for heating, the 411 would be ideal, right? I looked at the price between the two, and the 421 is MUCH cheaper.

If we only look at the rooms with 8ft ceilings, would you recommend the 211 for cooling and switching them to either 411 or 421 for heating? Or do you think the 421 would be adequate for both heating and cooling? As I said earlier, I would be looking at 85-100 cfm per register.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:32 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

For the 8" foot ceilings. The 421s. They are a good all season register. And at 85 CFM, they will still have the air reach the ceiling and give a good mix.

The 411s, won't get you a good air mix for your A/C at the ceiling area. And will tend to leave you feeling warm when the blower shuts off. Because the air at the ceiling and the ceiling are still warm/hot.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:09 PM   #11

Super. Thanks for all your advice...greatly appreciated.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:22 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Your welcome. And please keep us advised of how you like them.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:13 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,000

check here for ideas http://www.bestbuyheatingandairconditioning.com/

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote