Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #1

Share |

In-Floor/Radiant heating issue

Hey everyone, I've recently had an issue with our in-floor heating system, and I'm wondering if anyone could help me troubleshoot.

About a month ago (Christmas Eve, to be exact, go figure), the in-floor heating in our kitchen was getting really, REALLY hot. Uncomfortably hot on the feet. We had been cooking for a few hours, so the kitchen was already warm, but the temperature in the floor just kept rising.

Now, that evening, I was downstairs where our in-floor heating setup is, and I heard a grinding/clunking from the closet. I went in to check it out, and the grinding/clunking was coming from one of two 'Groundfos' (what LOOKS like) pumps. There was one very close to the system, and then one further along the lines, closer to the mass of pipes that I assume is responsible for the water coming/going to the house.

The pump (?) closest to the mass of pipes was the one clunking/grinding. I called a local who is familiar with the setup who was good enough to advise me that I could just turn off the system with the wall switch, and then turn on again if it got too cold in the house, etc...

Now, since then, the flooring in the kitchen has not had much (if any) heating coming through. I've not heard the pump grinding/clunking much, but I've not heard it make much sound at all.

In addition to this, all this came about around the time that the batteries in two of our digital thermostat regulators upstairs died. I replaced those batteries, and one seems to be working fine, while the other started showing the temp at ~7, and has just climbed since and sits around 30-32 ever since, though there is no room in the house that hot at all!

Sorry for the wall of text, but I guess my questions are -

Is there a chance that the Groundfos pump may have died?

If so, is this a professional replacement job? Would it require the lines be bled, etc?

Any idea as to why that one digital thermo is reading in the 30's, when nowhere in the house is even near that hot?

Thanks very much for your help!

G

GordCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #2

seems the circulator is called in by the zone stat in both areas,mark the back of the stat in question then flip the stats to see if the ??? stat reads wierd in the other location.standing were the circulator is for that hot kitchen floor is there a ball valve on the vertical above the pipe and one below the circulator...resaon if they get closed the change out is a easy minimal bleed as new one goes in.tell me if when you pull the stat off the subbase do you see a C terminal and if you do is there a low voltage wire to it both stats should be the same on the wire connection setups.

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

I would replace the thermostat that is not functioning properly. It may be the stat that controls the pump that you haven't heard in a while running.

You may find that after you replace the stat that the pump starts to grind/klunk again. If so replace the pump. You may also have air in the line as well

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
how

A faulty thermostat would be the likely cause for a super heated floor and the errant temp showings now. All pumps eventually fail and the replaced thermostat will likely show you if now is the time for that change.
How much system draining for a pump change depends on the placement of gate valves on the pipes leading to & from that pump.
If you have incomplete floor heating, continued pump noice or the venting from your boiler pressure relief valve after the thermostat change then I'd call a pro.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:59 PM   #5

Hey everyone!

Thanks for the advice - I gotta say, some of it went WAY over my head (I'm in the tech/entertainment industry, tell me something about how 3D models are wrapped - But, I think the stat is definitely messed up.

I swapped with another one, and the 'regular' temp one kept at regular temp when I reset/checked it on the circuit that the messed up one is on.

The messed up one, when placed on the working circuit and reset just said 'LO', then went immediately back up to 33, so yeah, the stat is done for I figure?

I've already tried to get in touch with the company for some error code/troubleshooting stuff, I think next stop it just replacing it and seeing if that solves the issue here! Thanks again!
Old 01-29-2012, 12:00 AM   #6

Sorry, one last thing - that being said, would it be more wise to keep the messed up stat off the wall entirely? Or does the system need it there, will it shut down that part of the house, etc?
Old 01-29-2012, 12:38 AM   #7
how

Make sure that you have not just programed the thermostat for 33 which it keeps returning to.

I would just leave it off the wall for now. That one zone is already inactive untill you put on a working thermostat or you can manually open the zone valve on that zone so that any other thermostat on your system might heat both zones.

Last edited by how; 01-29-2012 at 12:41 AM.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:33 AM   #8

move the maual bar over on the kitchen zone valve or take a toggle switch or light switch and connect the R and W to it and cycle the zone valve...that stat flip is exactly what a tech would of done.did you get it that the stat calls the zone valve,and the zone calls the circulator and he boiler maintains its setting when it feels the cooler water coming back thru....question for you so do these 3D movies mess with ones brain while watching a movie.i could suggest taking the kitchen zone valve over to the other valve so one stat controls both,but why ruin your sunday morning don't think one stat can handle the VA pull thru itself with 2 zones what's the brand and model of the stat

Last edited by biggles; 01-29-2012 at 04:44 AM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #9

Alright guys, got an update here.

I was able to capture video of the pump grinding/vibrating excessively. Maybe this video will help shed some light? I noticed the sound from the basement earlier today, and then went down there with the camera and waited, and managed to catch it. I've heard it since this (last hour), and just shut off the thermo that was causing issues.

For reference, the thermo went back to being 'normal' after these posts, but recently the battery in it died again. I replaced the battery, and realized that the backlight wasn't turning off, like all the other ones in the house.

The thermo make/model is a THM301M, and the user manual is here - http://www.upm-marketing.com/manuals/THM301M_E.pdf

The video of the pump grinding/vibrating is here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9wrr...ature=youtu.be

Any help would be MASSIVELY appreciated, as currently, I'm probably going to need to call a pro unless someone has some sound advice in here!

Thanks,

Gord