Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2011, 10:15 AM   #1

Share |

Floor heating problems/questions

Hi Guys,
We bought a house this summer, the master bedroom and a mudroom have in-floor heating, the rest of the bedrooms and living room have regular normal forced air heating using a regular furnace. There is only one water boiler for the whole house, it is for both domestic hot water and the in-floor heating.

The furnace was turned off in the summer, but the boiler has been on all the time, being it supplies hot water to shower and kitchen too.

It is getting colder recently, so we turned on the thermostat, the furnace works fine, we have heated air from ducts. The boiler has been working all alone, we have hot running water, but the floors in the main bedroom and mudroom are all cold.

There are 3 thermostats in the house, one controls the rest of the house (ie. furnace), the other two control the master bedroom and mud room. And according the previous owner, the later two thermostats will control the in-floor heating system temperature.

Here is a picture of the utility room where furnace and boiler are located, and it seems that there are 3 supply hoses and 3 return hoses, they are all cold. I marked the lines with arrows showing the water flow (I guessed these).

There are two box shaped things with control wires on the return lines (the ones I marked with green question marks), I assume these are control valves? They have "Auto" and "Manual" markings on them, and there is a lever on them that I can switch between Auto and Manual by hand.

What can the problems be? Are these valves not controlled by the thermostats? or should I bleed the system? How to bleed?

There is a "by pass valve" of some sort in the "pink" arrow position. IT is between the hot supply lines and return lines. It is currently turned on. Should it be turned on?

The two big dark-red things are pumps, right? should I hear them running when the boiler is on?

Thanks guys!
Hexar
Attached Thumbnails
Floor heating problems/questions-p1120622.jpg  

Hexar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #2

another question.

The previous owner left a maintenance schedule, one of them is to check if the pressure is @15PSI, currently, right after the boiler is done burning, the PSI is at about 11. Is that too low?

What do I do to turn on the pressure? Do I use this thing to adjust the pressure (at the bottom of the picture, where I have the red arrow pointing at)?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Floor heating problems/questions-p1120620.jpg  

Old 10-13-2011, 07:29 AM   #3

I guess the problem is found / solved.

I turned the thermostat in the living room's off (this is the one that will turn on the furnace), and left the other 2 thermostats on, and the pipes are getting hot water. I guess it is not cold enough yet, so that furnace itself was enough to heat the house.

And it seems I need to set the thermostats' temperature accordingly to turn on furnace and floor heating at the same time when it is very cold in the winter.

Thanks,
Hexar
Old 10-13-2011, 07:34 AM   #4

I also found that there is water in the Expansion tank. I unscrew the plastic cover over the lower air nozzle, and lightly tape the nozzle, and water comes out.

Does this mean, the expansion tank is broken? I have not measured the tank air pressure yet, what is the working pressure ? Should it match the water pressure?

When the in-floor heating was not turned on, I got about 10-11 PSI, and right now, I read about 7-8 PSI. Is this normal?

Thanks!
Hexar