Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
Handyman

Share |

Flexible dampers -HELP

I have a 2 story house with 16'cathedral ceilings in the front and rear of the house. In the winter the upstairs is hot and downstairs is cold. In the summer the downstairs is cool and upstairs is hot like hell! We have the ceiling fans going, return air vents put in, we use separate thermostats, downstairs in winter, upstairs in summer. We had a new high efficiency system installed 2 years ago with variable speed blower. We still have hot/cold spots.
I found the flexible damper system. Anybody have any luck with this? Looks good!
PLEASE HELP. http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...292832,00.html

brucem609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Flexible dampers -HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucem609 View Post
I have a 2 story house with 16'cathedral ceilings in the front and rear of the house. In the winter the upstairs is hot and downstairs is cold. In the summer the downstairs is cool and upstairs is hot like hell!
I bet you'll never by a house with cathedral ceilings again. Huh?

Quote:
We have the ceiling fans going, return air vents put in,
we use separate thermostats, downstairs in winter, upstairs in summer.
We had a new high efficiency system installed 2 years ago with variable speed blower. We still have hot/cold spots.
That sounds like hell to me.
When are you planning to sell?

Quote:
I found the flexible damper system.
Anybody have any luck with this? Looks good!
PLEASE HELP.
http://www.trulia.com/sitemap/New_Jersey-real-estate/

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #3

Flexible dampers -HELP

I like the This Old House show....but that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. Have you tried relocating the thermostat, or balancing the ductwork? When you start cutting off vents you begin to have velocity issues....I'm surprised that TOH showed that device. I wonder how much they paid to get on the show?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
Handyman

Flexible dampers -HELP

Tar Heel terp- you offer no help. Luv the house but the temp swings are not great!

I wish you could have offered some constructive assistance rather than your useless banter.
Anyway, looking for other ways to fix my problem without cutting into the drywall
Old 02-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #5

Flexible dampers -HELP

When you say "hot and cold spots" is it the same spots year round or does it vary? A well insulated cathedral ceiling with a ceiling fan is pretty efficient in keeping the temperature balanced. Do you run the fan in reverse? Sounds like you may have some insulation issues as well. The more details you provide, the more any of us can help you.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
MarginallyQualified

Flexible dampers -HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucem609 View Post
Anyway, looking for other ways to fix my problem without cutting into the drywall
Cutting to the chase... I don't think you can fix it.
Like squeezing a balloon the most you'll do is shift the symptoms around.

And I'm deeply hurt that you didn't appreciate my attempt at levity.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
Handyman

Flexible dampers -HELP

Change the direction of the fans with the seasons. We also try our gas fired fireplace. Then the upstairs gets baking hot! There is a pass thru window at the top of the stairs looking into the back room where the heat comes up and thru.
I feel like a Kenny Rogers Roaster (my levityTarheel) when that thing is on.
I guess nobody likes the ideas of the flex dampers?
If I chose, and. Am not saying. Am, would regular dampers be a solution?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Flexible dampers -HELP

The flexible damper system is for those homes with inaccessible supply runs. Installed properly it ill work fine.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #9

Flexible dampers -HELP

I don't think the dampers would fix the issue. Sounds like all the heat is just rising, and closing dampers will only change the way it gets there. Care to post some pictures of the home...or some drawings? What I imagine could be completely different from what you have.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #10

Flexible dampers -HELP

a couple of ideas here. first off, I had the same sort of issues in my home. Hot upstairs in the winter and cold down below. In the summer, the upstairs never got cool and the down stairs was very cold.

So, I did some research. I found out about manual j (the science of how much air a room should get). armed with this information, I set out to measure everything I could. I found that I had very low air flow and very high static pressure in my duct system. First thing I did was try and lower the static pressures. I removed all the registers and the filter and ran some more measurements. everything improved, but the static was still high. I reviewed my ducts and found flex duct. I took out the flex duct and converted to sheet metal ducts. note that my flex duct was 18 inches around and covered 17 feet, but when removed and stretched out, as per the mfgr, I had 42 feet of flex!!. I then added a second return to the system and installed 4 inch deep media filters on both returns. I also sealed every duct I could reach into, as far as I could reach into it. All of this took some time. with the new ducts, the new filters and the sealing, my static pressure went down and the amount of air going to each room went up. I then researched registers for cfm, throw and static pressure. I replaced all the registers and did a final check on my system. the static was slightly below the mfgr max, the air flow to each room was amost spot on. I also added a wireless setback thermostat (3m50) and finally, the best part, my electric bill (heat pump) dropped by 25 percent.
as a side note, I found that the kids close there doors at night and this was causing air not to move out of the rooms. I put in transfer ducts and the comfort in those rooms is now great, even with the doors closed.

was it easy? no. Did I have to do some work to learn about and fix my system, yes!!! could I have afforded someone else to try and fix it, maybe. but the final outcome is that the upstairs and downstairs is now comfortable and within 1 degree of each other.

so get your self some google time, a ladder, a manometer from ebay (0-2 inch wc) to check static pressures and an anemoteter (to check flows from the registers) and have some fun!!!!
bobinphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #11
Handyman

Flexible dampers -HELP

Bobinphx-WOW! Quite a lot of work and glad it paid off for you. Unfortunately I have NO access to any ductwork. I would have to rip out lots and. Mean lots of drywall to change ductwork. That is exactly what am trying to avoid with the flexible dampers hopefully.
Thanks for the info