Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2009, 07:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

flex duct termination issue

Let me start by saying that I realize this is somewhat hopeless.

I am currently redoing a bathroom and have access to the ductwork that serves both the bathroom and the master bedroom. As you can see in the picture, a four inch flex duct goes into a tee and serves both rooms. This actually provides more adequate heat for the bathroom, but (unsurprisingly) is woefully inadequate for the bedroom. You can see in the picture where the duct that used to feed both rooms was (just to the left), but the previous owner removed the wall that duct ran though, and stuffed the 4 in flex up through a plumbing chase instead. My long term plan to convert to a power vent hot water heater and then remove the chimney that runs up through the center of the house and use that area to run to new ductwork (as well a remove an awkward bump out in the middle of my dinning room), but that is still a few years off.

In the meantime I donít know what I should do here. I realize that whatever I do will have to run supplemental electric heat in my bedroom (as I am currently doing). I think I should replace the tee on the end of the duct with something that will actually make contact with the drywall on both sides of the wall (is this a boot?). I donít know if I can even get one to feed both sides of the wall like that with only a 4Ē round input, since that would only seem a little on the small side for two rooms. Iíd like the ability of partially close the register to the bathroom and direct more the air to the bedroom.

I also would if I should consider installing a duct booster fan, or if that is a total waste of time since what I really need is a larger duct feeding my bedroom.
Attached Thumbnails
flex duct termination issue-dscn0198.jpg  

LanterDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Can you not run a separate flex duct up for the bedroom? Looks like you could get a 5-6" one up to theright of the three yellow wires.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:59 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Wouldn't you be further ahead running a supplimental or timed heater to the bath and using the vent for the bedroom? or maybe heated floor
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote