Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Flex Duct and critters

I am thinking of running some flex duct. All of our present ducts are metal. Even bathroom and kitchen vents.

We do get critters in the attic. Definitely mice, small rats, probably squirrels at times and we know we once had a mink! Wew have closed up every possible opening. We still heard gnawing. Had the pest control guys here. They found evidence of critters in attic (they said squirrels), but didn't find where they might be getting in. Mice get in regardless, they said.

So to my question - do critters gnaw on and possibly enter duct system through flex ducts?

lakeresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 68

Flex Duct and critters

they are curious by nature so yea they could. and if they poop in there and it gets in your airstream you can get some NASTY NASTY diseases. better to stay with metal and get the exterminator in there to keep checking it. watched "Billy the Exterminator" on A@E and he says they cause house fires by chewing on the wiring so you need to keep checking so they don't get in there if at all possible.

Hantavirus is especially BAD

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/diseases/hantavir.html

Old 11-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
jkv

Flex Duct and critters

you said that you were thinking about adding flex duct, that is going to ad to a lot of problems, they will put a restriction to your system which will mess up your hvac system these are put in and balance and you may want to have a hvac co. come out and speak with you before changing your system.
jkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:19 AM   #4

Flex Duct and critters

Get rid of all critters then run the flex, critters will not be there if their taken care of properly.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:26 AM   #5

Flex Duct and critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDIRON View Post
Get rid of all critters then run the flex, critters will not be there if their taken care of properly.
Given my first post, how would you suggest doing that?
Old 11-18-2011, 09:23 AM   #6

Flex Duct and critters

Party line is seal all openings, of course trying to trap all the critters outside as much as possible. Steel wool is supposed to be good to stuff in cracks and such. Then trap the rest inside. In practice all this is much easier said than done.

I had some mice in the attic of my 3 floor townhouse. I never found a credible point of entry... I never could reliably trap any inside the attic. Cathedral celings really restricted my ability to get around... but not theirs! I did kill one that I reached by taking my sawzall and cutting out a piece of drywall in the middle of the night once upon a time. Trapped him in a stud bay of a wall. Little bugger just wouldn't stop scratching.

I also have flex ducts up there. No critter damage that I can see at the plenum or on the ducts themselves. But I can't get to 100% of it.
raylo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:58 AM   #7

Flex Duct and critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylo32 View Post
Party line is seal all openings, of course trying to trap all the critters outside as much as possible. Steel wool is supposed to be good to stuff in cracks and such. Then trap the rest inside. In practice all this is much easier said than done.

I had some mice in the attic of my 3 floor townhouse. I never found a credible point of entry... I never could reliably trap any inside the attic. Cathedral celings really restricted my ability to get around... but not theirs! I did kill one that I reached by taking my sawzall and cutting out a piece of drywall in the middle of the night once upon a time. Trapped him in a stud bay of a wall. Little bugger just wouldn't stop scratching.

I also have flex ducts up there. No critter damage that I can see at the plenum or on the ducts themselves. But I can't get to 100% of it.
We are in semi rural area, so capturing outside would be a full time occupation! We have oak trees so lots of squirrels. Also many chipmunks. Raccoons visit from time to time and one time we had them in crawl space (wild life guy put in 1-way gate and then later sealed openings.) Mice and even small rats seem to get in anywhere. So does the mink that eats them!

We have no visible openings in roof or exterior walls . I had pest guy go into crawl space and he found no signs of activity (but he didn't spend too much time in there or get to very low areas). He said some droppings in attic were from squirrels - not easy to trap them. I will put in some mouse/rat traps and see what we catch.

We are resigned to always having some wildlife in the attic. So perhaps I should stay with metal ducts if there is some chance they may enter through flex.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #8

Flex Duct and critters

My house backs to a woods full of squirrels, too. Also lot's of chipmunks around. You really do need to keep the squirrels out. They can do a lot of damage... a lot more than a tiny little mouse or 2.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #9
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 68

Flex Duct and critters

Call "Billy the Exterminator".
Attached Images

Last edited by yuri; 11-18-2011 at 04:07 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:37 PM   #10

Flex Duct and critters

Yeah, Billy is da man when it comes to critters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Call "Billy the Exterminator".
Old 11-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #11

Flex Duct and critters

No need for Billy, we have our own guy who can go wherever the mice go! Given a standoff, he will also take on cats, squirrels and even a friend's German Shepherd. We see him outdoors, but haven't heard him in the attic for a few years.