Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
rkj

Share |

Flammable Foil Tapes

I thought all foil tapes were non-flammable, but I guess I was wrong:

So, do they make foil tapes thare are not flammable or spread fire? The person in the video mentions a tape called "citi" but I can't hear it correctly. If you know of any foil tapes that don't spread fire, let me know. Doesn't look like "UL" listed matters in this case.

rkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #2

Flammable Foil Tapes

it looks like the only thing that was burning was the glue on the back.
when applied on the ductwork, the glue would not be showing so would take awhile to burn.

hvac instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
rkj

Flammable Foil Tapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac instructor View Post
when applied on the ductwork, the glue would not be showing so would take awhile to burn.
True, but it still looks pretty bad. Do they make any foil tapes that don't burn like that? Anyone every try putting this type of tape on a flame?
Old 11-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #4

Flammable Foil Tapes

Why would we.
If your duct work is getting so hot the tape is catching on fire your in deep dodo and no non flammable tape is going to help.
yuri (11-07-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Flammable Foil Tapes

The one on the right does not have the paper on the back, the one on the left does. Also the glue used can be flammable, but the packaging would state that info.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
rkj

Flammable Foil Tapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Why would we.
If your duct work is getting so hot the tape is catching on fire your in deep dodo and no non flammable tape is going to help.
I think if a "non flammable" tape was available, then it wouldn't spread the fire once it had started.
Quote:
The one on the right does not have the paper on the back, the one on the left does.
He says in the 24 to 27 mark of the video that the protective paper was removed.
Quote:
You're right, it is the glue from the looks of it. I wonder if it was rubber glue, acrylic or something else.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
Hvac Pro

Flammable Foil Tapes

everyone is trying to differentiate their product/ run down the others to try get sales. much a do about nothing IMO.

most people die in house fires in less than 5 mins because furniture and carpet and drapes etc gives off TREMENDOUS amounts of toxic smoke and the flash point/ flash over happens quickly. ever watch those shows where they torch a room and show you how smoke rises and everything flashes into a fireball in less than 5 mins. the foil tape has nothing to do with a real fire.

Last edited by yuri; 11-08-2013 at 12:59 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Flammable Foil Tapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj View Post
I think if a "non flammable" tape was available, then it wouldn't spread the fire once it had started.

He says in the 24 to 27 mark of the video that the protective paper was removed.

You're right, it is the glue from the looks of it. I wonder if it was rubber glue, acrylic or something else.
First clue is that this is a Youtube video. Second clue is that this is a Youtube Video. As a magician states, they never reveal their secretes.

As for the tape, yes there are versions out there that have a glue backing or are foil/mylar over paper, but the mass majority you find in the hvac aisle at Lowe's, Menards, Home Depot, will be true foil tape.

Get it at Wally World, you never know what you are getting.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 11-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
Hvac Pro

Flammable Foil Tapes

could have sprayed WD40 on it and voila. flambé.

Last edited by yuri; 11-08-2013 at 02:19 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yuri For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (11-08-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Flammable Foil Tapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
could have sprayed WD40 on it and voila. flambé.
Anything to amaze the audience and spread FUD through the Youtube video world. Worse thing that ever happened to society was giving the mass majority Youtube.

Do not get me wrong on Youtube. There are some good ones on there, and then there is a lot, and I do mean a lot of really bad ones that make you cringe, when you see them.

I really hate the ones, that the person spends five to ten minutes, moving the camera between some papers and some tools, and 30 seconds of actually showing you what the video is about.

Anymore Youtube is nothing more than a soapbox for those who think that they have a audience.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #11
Hvac Pro

Flammable Foil Tapes

some are really good as I found a good one about parging my foundation walls (touching up the cosmetic stuff) but you have to sift thru a lot of crap to get there. Worst part of my biz and on some forums is these wannabee techs spewing dangerous and misleading BS and having Joe homeowner try them. now that is dangerous.