Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2009, 10:07 PM   #1

Share |

flame sensor

i have ducane furnace it fails to stay on and from looking on here and talking to a few people i am just about positive it is the flame sensor how do i remove it to clean it any help i would be greatfull

ostromk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:04 AM   #2

flame sensor

Since nobody else replied I will say this, that in 30 years I have never cleaned a "flame sensor" I have replaced them but never needed to clean them per say - unless you fry chicken with it. Not knowing exactly what you have I'd say you either have a bad board, flame module, gas valve, roll out sensor, or even a blocked induction blower. what else do your people say?

hychesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:49 AM   #3

flame sensor

we clean flame sensors all the time only replace a few.

to clean the rod remove the wire connected to the rod remove the 1/4 inch screw that holds it in place remove the rod use a fine steal wool or 600 grit sand paper polish the rod. After cleaning do not touch the rod reinstall connect wire and cycle furnace. The rod on this furnace is on the right side under the gas valve I believe do not confuse this with the ignitor.
Dr Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:16 PM   #4

flame sensor

as i said before i have never needed to clean one per say, scraped a few just because i had them out, but keeping that in mind a flame sensor will work regardless of a small amount of soot, i will not go into the specifics of a heavily corroded one because that could mean a mismatch of fuel and is beyond the scope of this conversation.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:59 PM   #5

flame sensor

we clean them all the time and the results are positive furnaces that did not stay lit stay lit now. Now I will say soot was never the problem. I was told by a Noridine tech that chemicals in the air reached with the flame and leave deposits this makes seance when you consider most dirty flame rods (not all) are furnaces near the laundry.
Dr Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:07 PM   #6

flame sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Heat View Post
we clean them all the time and the results are positive furnaces that did not stay lit stay lit now. Now I will say soot was never the problem. I was told by a Noridine tech that chemicals in the air reached with the flame and leave deposits this makes seance when you consider most dirty flame rods (not all) are furnaces near the laundry.
I did not know the system he had used a flame rod, my mistake - but for future information a flame rod is a half wave rectifier (the flame does it) then it conducts the small amount of DC current into the main board for sensing.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #7

flame sensor

thank you very much i figuerd that is it took to get it out but wanted to make sure before i go takeing stuff apart
Old 01-17-2009, 04:30 PM   #8

flame sensor

i took the rod out and went over it with some steal wool put it back and it works like a charm stays lit and everything thanks a lot we had to sit in the house with our winter coats on last night it was so cold in here and just think i called a place to see how much they wanted to come out and do that they wanted $140.00 and i did it my self for the coast of steel wool LOL
Old 01-17-2009, 05:02 PM   #9
Hvac Pro

flame sensor

For everyones info. Occasionally you have to clean the face of the burner that the sensor sits in front of. That is half of the problem. The board uses DC flame rectification and the current MUST pass thru the burner to ground/furnace cabinet and the green wire or ground screw to the board. Thats the circuit. A dirty burner impedes that.

yuri is online now   Reply With Quote