Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2006, 02:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Flame draft too Low ?

On my carrier 48GS Gaspack with the front cover completely sealed,the burner flames "roll back" or attempt to go out whenever the unit fires up.Why is the draft being restricted in the exhaust chamber ?.I did not see anything visually restricted inside or outside of the unit.If I open the front unit cover slightly,the heating system works normal.There are no error codes coming from the controller board.

Last edited by Techman2006; 11-21-2006 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Decided to add more text.
Techman2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:10 PM   #2
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Rewards Points: 500

Flame draft too Low ?

Hi Techman2006

There could be several things on this dual pack causing this problem. The first is the inducer assy on this unit has trouble with the fan blade decentigrating, this can be easily diagnosed the unit will have a bad vibration to it. But the most common cause of rollout in these units are bugs getting into burner orfices. Spyders also like to build nests inside the burners. And last but not least if the unit is being ran on propane gas and has never been serviced it could be sooted up. This is a black cakey stuff. If its not sooted up it could have a hole in the heat exchanger. All of this is very easy to identfy. But I am betting on the bugs in the burner orfices or the spyder webs in the burners. If you have to go deeper into it, you will need to remove the right hand panel to get to the heat exchanger. To remove the burner assy to check, shut the power off to the unit, remove gas line through the cabinet that goes into the gas valve. Remove the ignition wire from the ignition board and grommet. Once you have don this there will be a single stainless steel screw through a bracket on the burner manifold. Remove this screw and carefully lift the assy out, at this point you can unhook the gas valve and rollout switch wire. Dismantle and clean the burners, flame sensor, remove and clean the burner orfices. Reassemble the unit and I bet you will be good to go. Let me know if this does not work and we will go deeper into it

Good luck
Rusty

#CARRIERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 02:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Flame draft too Low ?

On post "Flame Too low" by Techman2006,I inspected the burners and the orifices on my Carrier 48GS gaspack unit and did not find anything dirty or clogged.What else could be causing the flames to go out with the front access cover fully closed ?.Do I need the gas pressure at the gas valve checked at the manifold plug?.
Techman2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 02:40 PM   #4
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Rewards Points: 500

Flame draft too Low ?

Hi Techman2006

I would definatley suggest having gas pressure checked. But before you do if you will check the rest of the stuff I reccomended, this will eliminate any questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Good luck
Rusty
#CARRIERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote