Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan
Share |

Fireplace questions. . . .

So this old house (snicker. . . ) has 2 fireplaces in them. Traditional fireplaces, not inserts. I've always used potbelly stoves or fireplace inserts, so the use of a true fireplace is new to me. It HAD a loglighter in it someone ripped out or ruined it or both, so I've replaced it, and got it working nice, but a couple things I noticed about the fireplace is the handles to the door get REALLY hot, and they are tiny. Almost too small to grab them with the poker, not to mention they are sagging a bit, and probably need to be replaced. The screen inside is so badly warped probably from heat for 50 years that I can't get it to close, so using the doors is the only option.

Is replacing the front of the fireplace something I can do? (I don't know what that's actually called, the hearth maybe?)

If I were to do that, what kind of information would I need to know about mine before I can shop for a new one?

Any other info as it relates to my fireplace would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by Alan; 10-02-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

You mention a "true fireplace" which makes me think wood burning. But then you say it had a loglighter in it. Are we talking wood, gas, or what?

You know the guys (and gals) here like pics. Adding a few would probably get you more responses.

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
You mention a "true fireplace" which makes me think wood burning. But then you say it had a loglighter in it. Are we talking wood, gas, or what?

You know the guys (and gals) here like pics. Adding a few would probably get you more responses.
Right. True wood burning masonry fireplace. The log lighter is simply that. A propane bar to light the logs. Takes 1 minute or so, then you shut off the gas, and the wood continues to burn on it's own.

I think i've figured out that I just need new fireplace doors. These old ugly brass ones need to go anyway. The mesh is in fact ruined and won't slide to the closed position, and I also am pretty sure the glass doors aren't supposed to be closed when the fire is burning anyway.

Correct me if i'm wrong on any of this stuff. The only thing left is to buy one and install it, as long as I can figure that part out.