Fireplace - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
Indentured Servant

Rewards Points: 75

Fireplace

Is it possible to install a decent fireplace that doesn't suck all the heat from a home and actually throws good heat into a home? I am not looking to heat the house with it, just add some ambiance and warmth with something I can do myself and not break the bank.

Advertisement

jackpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
Experienced HVAC Tech

Rewards Points: 250

Fireplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpine
Is it possible to install a decent fireplace that doesn't suck all the heat from a home and actually throws good heat into a home? I am not looking to heat the house with it, just add some ambiance and warmth with something I can do myself and not break the bank.
Try a gas insert

Advertisement

HVAC1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
Indentured Servant

Fireplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC1000 View Post
Try a gas insert
Nope, live in the middle of a National Forest. I'm a forester, refuse to have a gas fireplace. Thanks though!
Old 10-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
Experienced HVAC Tech

Rewards Points: 250

Fireplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpine
Nope, live in the middle of a National Forest. I'm a forester, refuse to have a gas fireplace. Thanks though!
I see. How about a Franklin style stove. They were invented by their namesake "ol' Benjamin" in the mid 1700s and he actually designed them around the concept of wasting less energy by keeping the flue gasses in a "heat exchanger" of sorts for a longer time and with more surface area. You could say they were the first steps towards a modern furnace (minus the electrical parts). When I was going to school for HVAC we actually had to learn about them from our text books.
I don't know if they are still made or are for sale at all. But Ben Franklin would be proud to know that his invention led to so much more
HVAC1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:29 PM   #5
Indentured Servant

Fireplace

I have thought of that, even looked into the newer Soapstone free standing woodstoves, but my space is limited and a fireplace seems so much more conforming to our living space. I have also thought of framing something akin to a bow (like the windows) into the side of the home to accommodate a stove or fireplace. The wife wants a fireplace, so I told her I would investigate the possibilities.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 536

Fireplace

Just my own personal option, a real fireplace is about was heat efficient as leaving a window open.
Air tight wood stove, or wood burning insert with a blower will use at least 1/2 the wood, burn longer, and not suck all the air out of the back rooms making them colder because of creating a negative pressure in the home.
An insert with glass doors.

Advertisement