FInished Basement Area Too Cold - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Cool

FInished basement area too cold

I want to restrict the air flow to the finished room in the basement.

I think that I need to install a "flapper" (air vent turnoff plate) in the HVAC ductwork that feeds this room basement. The current pipe/vent is dedicated to this room only, comes directly from the air handler and is the shortest run in the house.

I have full access to the piece that I want to install the "flapper". It is 45 inches long. I bought , the "flapper", two reducers (to fit my existing ductwok and the flapper duct) , and a small 8 inch long piece of formed pipe/ductwork that is the same dimension, (approximately it seems that it is 1/4 or 1/2 inch smaller diameter) size as the "flapper".

I think have to use this technique because the existing air vent is very permanent, the basement is cinder block walls and drop ceiling, like thoise installed in offices in the 80s. The vent plate was trimmed to fit a narrower opening in the cinder block wall and removed the lever to open and close the vent.

The result is that the basement is freezing air rushes into the room at near gale force; large amounts of the air is blowing into the area above the drop ceiling and between the floor above it. This all robs the volume of air that gets to the other parts of the house.

my questions are:
- how do properly measure, adding all of these parts. I thought put the parts together "on the ground". Then the finished length of all parts should be as long as the cuyrrent section

- how do I cut the existing duct section, it is already formed into a pipe. do i cut down the length of the pipe first and then once butterflyed cut across the width?

- also, how do I properly drill two holes in the duct connector that are exactly centered over/under each other so that the flapper won't bind when turning it to restrict airflow?

Plus anything I am not asking about this project that would ease my pain or if this is there a better way to do this, most cost and time effecient solution?

thanks

Advertisement

richardnml is offline   Reply With Quote