Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Filtrete furnace filters

Hey guys,
I normally use the red Filtrete furnace filters with a 1000 efficiency rating. Unfortunately, last week when I went to buy one the hardware store was out of stock and all they had were the higher 1500 version, which I purchased. I seem to remember reading something about how furnace filters can actually be too restrictive and not good for the furnace. I have a Lennox G60 two stage furnace with a Lennox ACX a/c unit. I usually change my filters every three months. Any problems using this more restrictive filter? Thanks

Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 20

Filtrete furnace filters

Change the 1500 every 30 days, at least.

ben's plumbing (08-26-2013)
Old 08-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 34

Filtrete furnace filters

You should do a temp rise test thru the furnace when running on both stages or have a Pro do it. I have seen units run just fine on the lower grade filter and start overheating and cycling on the limit control by going up one grade higher of filter. Mostly has to do with poor undersized ductwork which we cannot assess over the net. I dislike filtr*etes anyway as the industry standard uses MERV rating. Use a Merv 7 or 8 True Blue from HDepot and you probably will be fine.

Last edited by yuri; 08-25-2013 at 05:31 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yuri For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (08-26-2013)
Old 08-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #4

Filtrete furnace filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri
You should do a temp rise test thru the furnace when running on both stages or have a Pro do it. I have seen units run just fine on the lower grade filter and start overheating and cycling on the limit control by going up one grade higher of filter. Mostly has to do with poor undersized ductwork which we cannot assess over the net. I dislike filtr*etes anyway as the industry standard uses MERV rating. Use a Merv 7 or 8 True Blue from HDepot and you probably will be fine.
From what you said it sounds like this might be an issue during the heating season. I'm not going to take a chance, so I'll change it next month and then go find my regular filter, or I'll stop by Home Depot and check out the True Blue filters. Thanks for the replies guys.
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #5
Part of the Clover Leaf

Filtrete furnace filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post

Just by way of an add-on, I would suggest having a tatice check done on the duct system even though you go with a Merv 7 or 8 filter.

There was a lot of misinformation among home owners concerning the how restrictive these Filtrete filters really are, thsnks to the Big Box companies.

Any way, a little extra margin of safety would not hurt. The static test would afford this to the HO.
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote