Filtration. - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2011, 09:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Filtration.

Could someone please give me some advise on a good filtration system for a 2 ton Goodman heat pump. My wife has asthma and I would prefer to have
better air quality than what you get with the cheap throw away filters.

Thanks

Advertisement

Garalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,100

Filtration.

can you take a picture of your indoor unit and current filtration setup? what size is the current filter?

Advertisement

Old 03-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Filtration.

It is a split system, supply hard duct, that is being installed with the air handler in the attic. Everything is done except for the return side which will have 2 flex ducts going to a 12 x12 and a 14 x 20. THere is a return plenum installed on the return side of the unit that can be taken off if I decide to install a filter housing between the two. At this point I can really do anything. The space is tight and I can't get far enough away from the unit to take a picture.
Garalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
AKA HVACTECHFW

Filtration.

my recommendation would be a simple 16 X 25 X 4 filter cabinet with a Healthy Climate merv 16 filter. These filters when you look them up will say they are 5 " wide. They will fit in the standard 4" wide cabinet made by honeywell and others. This is my opinion. There are plenty of good solutions out there, but this is what I use in my home, so I believe in it. Don't go with any smaller of a filter, you can step up to a 20 X 25 should you find it easier to mount in you system. the other size you could use is 20 X 20. These filter sizes are based on a 2 ton system as you posted. This filter will last you from 6 months to a year before replacement. Every home is different so check the filter every 6 months.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,712

Filtration.

Hopefully, a 10" and a 14" flex duct.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 864

Filtration.

You need a good strong high hp blower and large ducts to use a Merv 16 filter as it has a lot of resistance/static pressure drop across it which can freeze up your AC coil. If your airhandler has a variable speed ECM motor (the best) it can easily compensate for that problem and will speed up accordingly. You can use a Merv 16 with a regular blower but the installer MUST check the airflow across it (temp rise on heating, drop on cooling) and you must check it once a month to see if it is plugging up. Great filter and I sell a lot of them with ECM motors. They are expensive (retail $175 from a contractor). You can use a lighter version Merv 10 which only costs around $45. Merv 16 is a HEPA filter and good for asthma if your blower can handle it.

The best system that I have seen and I have several customers with chemical sensitivities and severe breathing problems using is the PCO from Lennox. Read their info about it. Uses UV lights and a Merv 16 and catalyst to deliver incredibly good results. Costs about $400/yr for the filter and bulbs and catalyst but it REALLY works and is cheaper and better for her than inhalers and medications.
http://www.lennox.com/products/indoo...y-systems/PCO/

Last edited by yuri; 03-27-2011 at 10:10 AM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:48 PM   #7
HVAC Supermodel

Rewards Points: 150

Filtration.

I like the American Standard Accu-Clean (or Trane Clean Effects) I believe they are the best electronic filter on the market with filtration down to an impressive .1 micron.

http://www.americanstandardair.com/p...spx?prod=acl01

BTW there are no replacement cartridges to buy, just gets vacuumed

Last edited by unicursalhex; 03-27-2011 at 08:49 PM. Reason: fao;sihfefeadv
unicursalhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #8
AKA HVACTECHFW

Filtration.

there is a problem with the accu-clean (clean effects).... it HAS TO BE MAINTAINED!!! They are a great air cleaner, however when not maintained properly they plug up and cause problems, your filtration going in the attic will cause you to have to get up there every month and deal with cleaning an electronic air cleaner. I don't believe this to be a good solution.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:56 PM   #9
HVAC Supermodel

Rewards Points: 150

Filtration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post
there is a problem with the accu-clean (clean effects).... it HAS TO BE MAINTAINED!!! They are a great air cleaner, however when not maintained properly they plug up and cause problems, your filtration going in the attic will cause you to have to get up there every month and deal with cleaning an electronic air cleaner. I don't believe this to be a good solution.
It is true that they have to be maintained and that its a pain in the ass to go into the attic to do it but you still have to go up there every couple of months to change a filter. This person is asking what would help with asthma and whatnot, anything you get will require maintenance and I don't know about you but I wouldn't want something with cartridges

Advertisement