Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 7
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Filter vs. Whole House Cleaner?


I have severe allergies/asthma and my wife and I just moved into a new place a few months ago. A neighbor burns a wood fireplace often in the winter and the smell was coming into our home badly. I invested in a 3M Filtrete 1900 Ultimate Allergen Reduction filter to go onto the York furnace installed in our new home. The air filter has helped the problem a ton. On the worst nights (where it's foggy and smoke sits still outside) it still smells inside some, but not nearly as bad as before. I have a local contractor who I asked about reducing smoke smell and just allergies in general who recommended a whole house cleaner to be installed on the furnace.

The recommended whole house cleaner is a York Affinity Media Filter (MERV 13). It costs $450 to install. My question for you is: how much more effective at stopping smoke smells and reducing allergens would the whole house cleaner be vs. just keeping the 3M Filtrete 1900 filter that is now on the furnace? Trying to decide if it is worth my money to put the whole house cleaner on. If it will help allergies/asthma I'm willing to pay for it, just want to be sure it's a big upgrade. Thanks for your input in advance!

Aaron

02SmithA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Winston-Salem NC
Posts: 3,681
Rewards Points: 2,036
Default

Filter vs. Whole House Cleaner?


Quote:
Originally Posted by 02SmithA View Post
my wife and I just moved into a new place a few months ago.
A neighbor burns a wood fireplace often
...the smell was coming into our home badly.
Do you make some sort of association between allergies and smoke odor?

Before the annoying smoke odor issue presented itself...
what plans did you have for the house regarding your allergies?

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 7
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Filter vs. Whole House Cleaner?


Yeah I have asthma caused by the allergies.. and the single biggest trigger to my asthma is the smoke odor.

The home is brand new so it is very tightly built, but we have three air purifiers running at all times (bedroom, office, and living room) they definitely help, but I'm trying to improve the air quality even more.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
Do you make some sort of association between allergies and smoke odor?

Before the annoying smoke odor issue presented itself...
what plans did you have for the house regarding your allergies?
02SmithA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
MarginallyQualified
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Winston-Salem NC
Posts: 3,681
Rewards Points: 2,036
Default

Filter vs. Whole House Cleaner?


Quote:
Originally Posted by 02SmithA View Post
The home is brand new so it is very tightly built...
Does this tightly built home have an EXTERIOR fresh air intake for the hvac?
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
Roofmaster
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,636
Rewards Points: 2,030
Default

Filter vs. Whole House Cleaner?


I feel for you, as I have the same type of reaction to wood smoke. There is nothing worse than someone who knows nothing about the proper way to age and burn wood. I had a neighbor that did the same thing. He loaded up his stove with unseasoned wood at night and turned the air way down. I told him he was asking for a chimney fire, and he was destroying the air quality in the whole neighborhood. He laughed, and said he has been doing it for years.

About a month later he burned about half his house down. Chimney fire got so hot it blew brick out of the chimney in the attic. The chimney looked like an afterburner on a jet fighter.

Poetic Justice.
__________________
" A lot of men build things, and a lot of things fall down "

jagans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:03 AM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 7
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Filter vs. Whole House Cleaner?


Yes, it has an exterior fresh air return system that vents into the basement. I close the vent when the smoke smell is strong outside. Still seems like more of the smell comes inside than I would think though. Not sure what other ways the smell would get in when the furnace isn't even running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
Does this tightly built home have an EXTERIOR fresh air intake for the hvac?
02SmithA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:05 AM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 7
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Filter vs. Whole House Cleaner?


Jagans,

Wow, yeah there are so many people who burn that don't burn properly. They ruin it for those who actually do burn properly. I can always tell when the neighbors use unseasoned wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
I feel for you, as I have the same type of reaction to wood smoke. There is nothing worse than someone who knows nothing about the proper way to age and burn wood. I had a neighbor that did the same thing. He loaded up his stove with unseasoned wood at night and turned the air way down. I told him he was asking for a chimney fire, and he was destroying the air quality in the whole neighborhood. He laughed, and said he has been doing it for years.

About a month later he burned about half his house down. Chimney fire got so hot it blew brick out of the chimney in the attic. The chimney looked like an afterburner on a jet fighter.

Poetic Justice.
02SmithA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 70
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Filter vs. Whole House Cleaner?


A 1" filter will mainly keep your coil clean, carbon filters help but can only absorb it's weight in VOCs , go with a whole house filter or air purifier and run 24/7

__________________
Filtration / HVAC & Indoor Air Quality Solutions
AirstarFilters is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Install undersink filter or whole house!? Mike2181 Plumbing 7 07-19-2010 10:14 PM
installing whole house filter on outside of house MikeInFL Plumbing 3 06-12-2010 04:47 PM
Attic Fan AND Whole House Fan PapaGnome HVAC 6 02-15-2009 02:28 PM
Whole house water filter and softener gonepostal57 Plumbing 6 10-10-2008 12:40 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.