Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 37

Filter rack question for new furnace install

I'm looking at having a new Carrier furnace/AC installation. One contractor told me that they could provide either a 1" or 4" filter option without extra charge. A second contractor offered a 4" filter as a $500 option with an Aprilaire 2210 Air Filter. I asked about just using a 4" filter rack and was told they didn't know about such things. I'd like to know if there are commonly available 4" filter racks that I can point them to. I don't know if they'll agree to anything other than the Aprilaire unit they offer, but it's worth a shot. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

rvmeush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,204

Ask about pressure drop across these 4" filters. Many thicker filters cause a restriction in return air flow producing a higher static pressure which pretty much means the system can't function as efficiently as per design. It's comparable to inhaling and then trying to inhale with someone who's mad at you with their hands around your throat.

I'll try and find a link to an explanation on pressure drop as it relates to filters or you can possibly Google search.

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 09-14-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 254

Here is a great site for understanding air filters in your ac system and or furnace.

http://www.lacool.ws/air%20filter%20tutorial.htm

some MFGRs will list the air flow restrictions that their filters cause (both clean and dirty!!) ... most dont...

The only way I have found, as a homeowner, was to get a manometer. This is a gauge that tells you the amount of pressure or vacuum. They are fairly cheap on various auction sites and for the money, you will know if your filter is restrictive or not....

Bottom line is that there are 4 or more inch filter racks available and if not ready made, any good hvac installer can have one made!!!!!

You might also want to look at filters fast website (or others) for the costs of replacing the filter.
bobinphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,698

4" filters last longer with a slower increase in PD then 1" filters. Generally brand name 4" filters will have a lower PD then third party filters will.

I use Honeywell, but you can have a fab shop make a bracket for a 4" filter.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote