Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2011, 09:30 PM   #1

Share |

filter choice

Hi all. I have a comfort-maker gas furnace that also handles the central A/C. I've been buying the cheap filters because someone said those expensive filters don't let enough air through the return. Is this true? or was the guy wrong. Seems like I have an unusual amount of dust in my house. Would just like to buy the best filter for my system. Thanks.

daddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:39 PM   #2

filter choice

I prefer poly filters. They are a compromise between pleated and fiberglass. Most HVAC supply houses can sell you a box for around $25 for 20x20x1.

twelvevoltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

filter choice

Is your home dusty and that is were the dust is being sucked into the system from or do you have duct leaks, mainly on your return air side? I'd check the return air chase/duct/plenum and all seals therein.

Yes, static pressure is a concern, many thicker filters block a lot of air, but we'd need to know what your system's total esp (external static pressure)is before we judged what possible damage any said filter may cause.

That being said and I wouldn't care what kind (brand, stage, seer, size) of system I had, in my own home I ONLY use the cheapest 30 day max filters to ensure proper air flow (negates furnace overheating in heating mode and evaporator coil freezing up in cooling) and change them out every 3 weeks, when I remember.

I have two (sometimes very dirty) dogs, no dust. My system is sealed very tightly though, I did it myself and found a lot of leaks at that time.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Holliday For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (11-27-2011)
Old 11-27-2011, 11:06 PM   #4
how

filter choice

The only guy that can tell you which type of filter you can/should use on your system is the HVAC tech(that you hopefuly trust) doing the servicing. There are too many individual factors with your particular equipment/home/ducting/health issues/etc. to generalize an answer.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:33 AM   #5

filter choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyrabbit View Post
Hi all. I have a comfort-maker gas furnace that also handles the central A/C. I've been buying the cheap filters because someone said those expensive filters don't let enough air through the return. Is this true? or was the guy wrong. Seems like I have an unusual amount of dust in my house. Would just like to buy the best filter for my system. Thanks.
As stated by others in this thread, it will depend on your system as to what filter will serve you best. In my home I use what is refereed to as a "annual" filter, meaning generally speaking you change it once a year. It measures 4 3/4 inches wide 25 inches deep and 20 inches tall, and it is pleated and re-enforced with wire mesh. I get it wholesale so i pay far less then the consumer does......but its worth the money. Any filter that is pleated has 2 or 3 times (in some cases much more depending on the number of pleats) the filtering surface of a standard non-pleated filter.

I always tell my customers that I prefer a pleated over a non pleated filter. One very important thing to take note of is that any 1 inch wide filter (regardless of what the fancy package may say) is only effectively filtering your air up to 30 days, after that the amount of dirt passing through and into your house is much greater.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:48 PM   #6

filter choice

thanks for the replies. Unfortunately i don't have an HVAC person I trust. We were using a local but large service company that sends a different person every time. There was one guy that came out that seemed knowledgeable and had 15 or so years experience. I should have asked him. Next time I have someone come out I will ask them. Thanks again.

daddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote