Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2010, 08:33 AM   #1

Share |

Filter always clean and dirt around baseboards....

Hello,
Two years ago my wife and I purchased a Ranch style M/I home that was built in 2006. It has gas heat and central air. The furnace and water heater are in a room in the garage. The return air is mounted above the hallway leading into the kitchen. Looks like it has a 10-12" insulated line running back to the furnace. The house is on a slab. All the HVAC lines run through the attic.

Long story short....

I've NEVER had to replace a furnace filter. We have two dogs and sweep hair up weekly, so I know we have dirt and dust in our home. As of late though, in a couple rooms mainly the bathroom and laundry room (rooms with moisture) the top of the woodwork is becoming dirty and the dirt won't simply wipe off. I think I am going to pull the baseboard off and clean it by scraping with a razor knife, but I think the problem lies with the return air system.

What should I be looking for? Or is there a professional who deals with this type of thing?

Thanks!

JSPAFFORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:44 AM   #2
fabrk8r

Are you sure you are getting return air to the furnace? Is the cold air return a flexible round duct? My guess is that the duct is disconnected somewhere, probably in the attic.

Do you only have one R/A grill?

Old 04-22-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
fabrk8r

Another thing to check is the seal around the access door to your furnace. Also make sure the only air entering the blower compartment is air coming from the R/A duct.

The reason I mention this is because I've serviced units that had been moved from other locations and originally were set up to have a bottom return but after they were moved they used side return, but didn't seal the bottom of the unit.

When you get this resolved you may want to take a look at your evaporator coil to see how dirty it is before cooling season gets here.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:16 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply. There is one return air grille, and it's in the middle of the living room which is the biggest room of the house. It has a vaulted ceiling.

The furnace looks like it pulls the air from the bottom. It is sitting up on a platform and the filter slides in on the bottom of the furnace. I am assuming they made a channel in the wall and have the air pulling from the ceiling down thru the stud cavity and then just a hole cut in the drywall next to the furnace.

The duct I can see running thru the attic (i have storage up there, so easy access) It looks to be a straight run, but then it turns down into the 13" of blown in insulation so I may have to pull some of that back and investigate.

Thanks!
JSPAFFORD is offline   Reply With Quote