Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #1

Share |

FHW / baseboard heat takes forever

So we have a brand new boiler (2 years old) in a 100-year old bungalow in NH. Just bought the house 18 months or so ago.

This morning was brutally cold outside (-5F or so), and the heat was having a hard time getting the house to heat up at ALL. Keep it at 58 overnight, up to 62 in the morning (yes it's cold but oil is expensive). Even after two hours it had barely gotten up to 59. I don't remember it having this much trouble getting up to temp last year, even on cold days.

The boiler is certainly heating the water (hot water for shower is on the same system and was hot throughout), and the pipes going to the baseboards are hot enough to hurt if you touch them, so.... I kind of suspected that the circulator pump might have gone (just one zone on the one floor, no heat upstairs), because it's been knocking a bit lately and it's the only thing in the system that's older (at least, it LOOKS older), but... again, the pipes are HOT so... I can't imagine that's it.

Basically I'm overreacting and hoping everyone will tell me what I already think I know : that it's just crappy (probably nonexistent) insulation and a particularly cold day and not something wrong with the system itself.

TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
how

Make sure the fins on your baseboard are not dust filled and stopping the house air from flowing through them.
Circulation issues can be verified by checking the temp of the inlet and outlet of the boiler. Water leaving the boiler should be hot. The water returning should be cooler, reflecting the temp loss of water giving up it's heat through the radiators.
An impeded flow will usually cause the water pressure guage to jerk up and down when that knocking sound is happening.
A limited water flow can be from a faulty pump/impeller, an air lock or a gate valve not opened up enough.
What is the pressure and temp showing on your tridicator?

how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
registered

What is the water temp on boiler. When it fires up stand there and watch it. When cold water comes back temp should go way down. Now stand there and see what temp the boiler shuts off at. What kind of circulator pump do you have. Something isn't rite. I have hotwater heat.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

2 hours to raise 1 degree, even at -5 thats a bit too long.

What temp is the aquastat set to. Post pics of your circulator.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
AKA HVACTECHFW

Is the circ pump running for the space heating zone?
Old 12-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #6

Hmph. Thanks for the input everyone. I'll snap a few pics tonight and observe a bit. Last night the heat was perfectly fine, FWIW, as it generally is. It was just yesterday morning that it wasn't.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Is L1 powered all the time, and the aquastat's B1 connected to the limit terminal of the primary. Or is teh aquastat shutting off all the power to the primary.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Is L1 powered all the time, and the aquastat's B1 connected to the limit terminal of the primary. Or is teh aquastat shutting off all the power to the primary.
I'm afraid I don't quite understand that question. Hopefully pics I post this evening will answer this?
Old 12-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Many times. The primary on a boiler, is only powered when the aquastat calls for heat. So if you want an extended burner motor run time. unless the L1 terminal of the primary is energized even when there is no call for heat. Its not possible for the primary to do it.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #10
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBobmanNH View Post
So we have a brand new boiler (2 years old) in a 100-year old bungalow in NH. Just bought the house 18 months or so ago.

This morning was brutally cold outside (-5F or so), and the heat was having a hard time getting the house to heat up at ALL. Keep it at 58 overnight, up to 62 in the morning (yes it's cold but oil is expensive). Even after two hours it had barely gotten up to 59. I don't remember it having this much trouble getting up to temp last year, even on cold days.

The boiler is certainly heating the water (hot water for shower is on the same system and was hot throughout), and the pipes going to the baseboards are hot enough to hurt if you touch them, so.... I kind of suspected that the circulator pump might have gone (just one zone on the one floor, no heat upstairs), because it's been knocking a bit lately and it's the only thing in the system that's older (at least, it LOOKS older), but... again, the pipes are HOT so... I can't imagine that's it.

Basically I'm overreacting and hoping everyone will tell me what I already think I know : that it's just crappy (probably nonexistent) insulation and a particularly cold day and not something wrong with the system itself.
Ayuh,..... Ya say ya check the pipes, 'n they were Hot,....

Where'd ya check 'em,..?? At the boiler,..??
How 'bout at the baseboards,..?? Each room in the loop,..??

What was the temp showin' on the tridicator gauge,..??
What pressure,..??

Is the circulator pump still makin' noise when it's callin' for heat,..??
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBobmanNH View Post
I'm afraid I don't quite understand that question. Hopefully pics I post this evening will answer this?

Ah ha. I'm answering in the wrong thread. Sorry about that.
oh'mike (12-18-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,..... Ya say ya check the pipes, 'n they were Hot,....

Where'd ya check 'em,..?? At the boiler,..??
How 'bout at the baseboards,..?? Each room in the loop,..??
I was checking the baseboards themselves, in each room (both at the "beginning" and "end" of the loop).

Quote:
What was the temp showin' on the tridicator gauge,..??
What pressure,..??
Pressure rarely moves from the 12-14psi range.

Temperature goes between maybe 160 and 190?

Quote:
Is the circulator pump still makin' noise when it's callin' for heat,..??
Yes, it ONLY makes noise when calling for heat. It's generally pretty quiet, but I hear it click / thunk every few seconds (different from the click of expanding pipes and whatnot).
Old 12-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #13

Sorry some of these pics are blurry. Stupid cameraphones.

Boiler :

Zones :

Circulator Pump (I tried to get a shot of the label and couldn't because it's stupidly up against the ceiling and my camera just would NOT focus correctly on it. It's a Taco, that's hte best I can tell without busting out a mirror or something)

Zone Valves (one for heat, one for hot water tank)

Control unit

And the thermostat / pressure guage at two extremes

Old 12-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #14
An old Tradesmen

The label for the circulator is on top of it. the electrical box cover plate has the model number on it.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #15

does that taco zone control have a priority over ride for the domestic hot water?If it does and it is set to priority it will make sure the tankless temp or zone is met before fhw temp is met. If you or the whoever got up and jumped in the shower it will shut down the zone valves until tankless or that zone is satisfied.11 below at my house.

hpyjack2013 is offline   Reply With Quote