Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #1

Share |

Female in Distress!

Help! My husband knows nothing about repairs and I know only a little more than nothing, so I need some help. My blower/fan on my 20 yr old HEIL AC is not coming on, but the Compressor seems to be working fine. My question, before I call someone, I suspect that my blower might just need cleaning. I'd like to try that first, but not sure at all how to go about it. Does anyone have advice?

Marilee516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:20 AM   #2
(the original)

Female in Distress!

Dirty fan would usually reduce air flow, not stop running. More likely a bad capacitor or fan motor, though could be other things as well. Call for service.
If you'd really like to learn about the system and be able to do at least some minimum maintenance in the future, here's some good reading:

http://inspectapedia.com/aircond/

ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #3

Female in Distress!

Thanks! I will read up. I do suspect that the blower has blown. I'm trying to laugh about it
Old 09-03-2010, 03:56 PM   #4

Female in Distress!

i'm assuming you are talking about your condenser fan, which is the fan above the outside unit over the compressor. it's very likely a bad run capacitor like ratherbefishin' said. they fail a lot. try sticking something skinny like a stick in there and spinning the fan blades. if they turn freely that's a good sign that the motor didn't seize up on you. then take the access panel off and look at the capacitor. if it is bulging that is a strong sign that it needs replaced.
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
fabrk8r

Female in Distress!

Just want to add a little safety tip before you open the access panel on the condensing unit...either pull the disconnect by the outside unit or flip the breaker at the service panel to cut the power to the unit. I'd hate to for someone to get a shock.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #6

Female in Distress!

good call. yes, you definitely should pull the disconnect. i must be thinking dangerously today.
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
fabrk8r

Female in Distress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroNate View Post
i must be thinking dangerously today.
It's easy for someone like you or I to forget to mention it when we work with this stuff everyday. We're kind of lucky because we usually don't have to think about it, it's just something we do from habit whenever we approach something that has potential to harm.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:26 AM   #8

Female in Distress!

Hi again! It's NOT the outside unit. It starts up but no blower/fan through the registers. That would be the blower on the furnance - correct? I just wondered if there was something I could do to see why it stopped. I looked for a reset button - there isn't one. Any ideas out there? It's nice and cool this weekend in Michigan, but we'll get more humidity and I don't think I'll be able to get a new unit that quickly.