Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2010, 12:27 PM   #1

Share |

Federal Tax Credits

Do any of the Federal tax credits apply for DIY heatpump or Furnace installations?
zootjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #2

Federal Tax Credits

Yes. It's still 30% of the purchase price for the qualifying equiptment. Save the print out of your AHRI certification along with the reciepts in case of audit.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #3

Federal Tax Credits

Yes. I am contemplating doing the same thing . However, also get bids from reputable contractors too as some oofer very aggressive pricing in this economy . . Make sure that the savings are really there for the DIY installation ( price of the equipment is really good and it is clear whether the warranty is real or not ) . I have done DIY HVAC installs on my property in the past hiring a licensed HVAC tech for inspection/startup but purchased the equipment locally (takes some effort) .

A couple of related threads -

Buying Wholesale

** Opinions on a new GOODMAN AC unit **

Last edited by rkpatt; 12-04-2010 at 02:42 PM.
rkpatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:49 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Federal Tax Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by zootjeff View Post
Do any of the Federal tax credits apply for DIY heatpump or Furnace installations?

Yes. Just need the manufacturers tax credit qualifying certificate.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:28 AM   #5

Federal Tax Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S. View Post
Yes. It's still 30% of the purchase price for the qualifying equiptment. Save the print out of your AHRI certification along with the reciepts in case of audit.
So I installed a 14SEER R410A Goodman with CAPF3636 coil, but I used my existing variable speed air handler. In theory that gets me to 15 SEER with my TXV.. Do I still qualify since the air handler is not on the printout?
zootjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
Experienced

Federal Tax Credits

I believe you need to pay yourself as well, when installing as a DIYer. In other words you can take the full tax credit as if a contractor installed it. So yes get quotes and then pay yourself an equilvalent amount when applying the tax credit.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #7
the Musigician

Federal Tax Credits

This address has most all of the answers you need.

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...edits.tx_index

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #8

Federal Tax Credits

http://www.ahridirectory.org/ahridir...ultSearch.aspx

Put your info in there. I know that if the system has an AHRI number and it meets the minimum standards then it qualifies. Mixed systems that are not in the AHRI data I really don't know.

Last edited by Marty S.; 12-08-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:20 AM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Federal Tax Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
I believe you need to pay yourself as well, when installing as a DIYer. In other words you can take the full tax credit as if a contractor installed it. So yes get quotes and then pay yourself an equilvalent amount when applying the tax credit.
Then you would need to file what you paid yourself as income. Which would cost you more in income tax then you would get credit for on that amount.

You just file what the equipment cost. No need to fake that you paid a contactor.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:56 AM   #10
Experienced

Federal Tax Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Then you would need to file what you paid yourself as income. Which would cost you more in income tax then you would get credit for on that amount.

You just file what the equipment cost. No need to fake that you paid a contactor.
As a DYIer you are the contractor, not trying to fake anything and yes you can claim the cost of install.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Federal Tax Credits

Quote:
As a DYIer you are the contractor, not trying to fake anything and yes you can claim the cost of install.
Then you would have to claim what you paid yourself as income. And pay taxes on it. State, federal, and local taxes.

You also need proof of cost.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #12

Federal Tax Credits

Quote:
So I need to claim the money saved from DIY window replacement, garage build, drywall, flooring, whirpool, heating /air replacement and various plumbing projects as income? Can I write myself a check and claim it as a charitable donation? LOL just being a little ornery.