Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Fedders Gas Furnace - fan not coming on...

I have a 6-7 year old Fedders gas furnace / AC model ABA 060 NH3R. Yesterday, what I suspect is the fan/blower stopped working. Trying to troubleshot the exact problem I found that the breaker to the unit had been tripped. When I switched the breaker back on it trip again intermittently, some times after a few seconds other times it wouldn't trip at all...

My condenser unit outside appears to be working as intended, it comes on and I can hear the line set doing its thing. I can even feel cool air from where the filter is inserted (a new filter at that) and the condensation pump next to the furnace is operational as well. Looking at the circuit board the diagnostic light indicates normal operation... bottom line, the fan that blows the air through the ducting is the only thing that doesn't appear to be working normally, that is it isn't working at all.

The only other issue that I seem to remember that appeared out of the ordinary was previously when the fan did kick on it made a loud click/pop noise. It didn't affect the operation of the unit but it did sound unusual.

Anyone offer up some ideas on what the problem may be? I will gladly provide more info should what I posted not be sufficient. Thanks in advance.

ILW

iranwatson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
AKA HVACTECHFW

check for a bad capacitor, but with it tripping the breaker it is most likely a bad motor. Check for voltage to the motor. Check for burnt spots on the back of the control board.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:40 AM   #3

So I pulled off the plate that the board is attached to and discovered all kinds of goodies... Part if the card board from an old filter was sticking out of the blower housing and an old Mnt. Dew can was about an inch from being sucked in. I replaced the capacitor with a new one ($1.95 at the HVAC supply house, is that cheap or what?) and still nothing... At this point I guess I need to remove the blower motor to gain better access and see if I can determine if I'm dealing with a bad motor.

I have a couple questions though. How do you get the motor out of the blower housing? Do I need to remove the housing itself to get the motor out? I see two screws at the top but that couldn't possibly be all that is securing the housing in place, could it?

I also see that the Fedders manual refers to its parts with a "Functional Parts List". After talking to a Fedders rep I discovered the furnace was actually a Texas brand *whatever that means). Is the motor a generic part or should I just wait an see if I can get one from Fedders?

Thanks again.
iranwatson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
AKA HVACTECHFW

You must remove the housing.... remove the two screws and then the housing should slide out in rails that attach it to the blower deck. Motors are usually fairly universal. Remove the motor and take to a motor shop to have something matched up. Have verified voltage to the blower?

Tags
blower fan, fan won't turn on, fedders, furnace blower, inducer won't run