DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Fasco draft inducer, HB Smith gas furnace

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  paulny20 
#1 ·
Fan is making a racket, so I'm assuming the bearings are going. It seems as if I need to remove the whole unit to oil the bearings. I am having a hard time removing it. All screws removed, but it seems like it's really stuck on there. I'm guessing its the gasket material. Any ideas?

Thanks

#2 ·
Most draft inducer motors aren't designed to be oiled or repaired.

Usually you can remove a three or four bolts so that you can pull out the inducer motor assembly from the furnace, including the fan wheel. I'd do that then inspect and operate the inducer motor to identify whether the motor is the problem or you have something plugging up or impairing the fan wheel that might be removed.

If the motor or fan wheel are broken, you should replace the entire inducer motor assembly. Usually the fan wheel is corroded on the motor shaft and can't be removed anyway. Buying and installing the whole inducer motor assembly is the easy way to correct the problem.

#3 ·
Draft inducer

Thanks Seattle, I probably will replace the unit, but it's getting it off that seems to be the problem. Can the gasket really be that stuck on? Also, when replacing, if I match the fan rotation direction, voltage, amps is that enough?
Thanks

#4 ·
Thanks Seattle, I probably will replace the unit, but it's getting it off that seems to be the problem. Can the gasket really be that stuck on? Also, when replacing, if I match the fan rotation direction, voltage, amps is that enough?
Thanks
NO, You get the right part and replace the whole thing. If it has any age on it, you will never get the wheel off that was exposed to exhaust temps for however many years.

#6 ·
It's not the gasket that's the problem. The fan gets corroded on the motor shaft and it's a waste of time and effort to try to get them apart.

A good rule of thumb with DIY projects is to make it as easy on yourself as possible. Trying to separate the fan from the motor shaft is a waste of time and effort.

Besides that, you are getting a new fan. Old fans can deteriorate and break. Replacing the fan with the motor is worthwhile by itself.

#8 ·
As described earlier, I would recommend against buying just the motor when replacing the inducer motor.

Most manufacturers sell an inducer motor kit, which consists of the correct motor, new gasket and a portion of the furnace sheet metal needed to bolt the new assembly into place. Everything you need to make the replacement relatively easy to do.

#9 ·
The above Fasco catalog section is for the complete unit, motor and fan etc. and includes all install hardware including the sealing putty to get a tight fit. Match by the picture, then specs.

Fasco also sells just the motor too but for the DIYer, the complete ID fan unit is best.

#10 ·
As a pro, I still change the whole assembly. Is just not worth replacing just the motor these days. Back when OEM kits weren't available or ridiculously priced, we would change just the motor on commercial units only. (bigger units=easier and more cost effective) However usually even then, you'd cut the wheel off just to save the rusting housing. Now, with the higher efficiencies, and cheaper manufacturing, everything needs to be changed at the same time now anyways.

Yes the gasket really can be that solid, and hard to remove. Just make sure you've removed all the screws first! The kits will come with a new gasket or putty.

Cheers!

#11 ·
Fasco draft inducer

Thanks to all who replied. So much knowledge out there! Yes, I had planned to replace the entire unit. It was that pesky gasket that would not let go. Of course I got into other projects and the fan is still clacking away. I'm sure it will go on the coldest day of the year, so I'll start checking the Fasco site. When I originally, called them, they said the number I gave them was produced just for that particular boiler and is now discontinued. That is why I asked about matching the voltage, amperage, rotation, etc.

Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.