Fasco D799 Condenser Fan Motor Connections? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-03-2014, 07:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fasco D799 Condenser Fan Motor connections?

Good evening, I'm home with a miserable hot wife and a sick 4 YO kid with a low grade fever and trying to get the AC fixed to give my wife and child a bit of comfort.

Problem - The fan motor would not always spin, but you could manually start the fan, although it would not always spin at full speed. Sometimes the fan would squeal, and other times the fan just would not start spinning. The copper lines coming in - one was very cold and the other a little to hot to touch comfortably. The entire unit is maybe 5-6 years old.

My friend said to replace the capacitor, which I did, but it did fix the problem, so after searching several sites we figured the fan motor itself was bad. I ordered a replacement fan motor that arrived today, with the same ratings (1/8 HP, 825 RPM, 208-230 V), and the capacitor is a different part number, but the old and new are both 45 microfarad/5 microfarad ratings with 370 VAC rating.

Old fan - 3 wires, Yellow, Brown and Black.
Yellow - Capacitor on the COMMON connection
Brown - Capacitor on the FAN connection
Black - Contactor/voltage

New Fan - 5 wires - Green/Ground, Black, White, Brown, Brown/White stripe
Ground - connected to a spare screw
Black - Connected to the Contactor/voltage
Brown - Connected to the FAN connection on the capacitor
Brown/White stripe - ?
White - ?

I'm assuming since this is a variable direction fan that the Brown and Brown/White strip wires each control a direction and only one of them should be connected? Or do I connect the Brown and Brown/White to different sides of the Capacitor and use either the White or the Black leads to control the direction of the fan rotation?

I saw on another post that the White wire should be connected with the Black wire on the contactor? Is this correct? I don't want to burn up my motor and put my wife and sick kid through another hot/humid night.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Troy

Advertisement

Taffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 93

The new motor will have a diagram on it. Do not tie the black and white wires together. The new motor will say what size capacitor it needs. I would replace the capacitor also. If you do decide to use the same capacitor, assuming it is the same size, the Brn goes on the capacitor labeled fan, Brn/ wht goes on capacitor labeled c (common), the black goes on the contactor where the capacitor common is and the white on the other side of the contactor(switched side of contactor). This should be right but please verify it from the motor diagram.

Advertisement

McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to McGee For This Useful Post:
Taffer (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 08:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGee View Post
The new motor will have a diagram on it. Do not tie the black and white wires together. The new motor will say what size capacitor it needs. I would replace the capacitor also. If you do decide to use the same capacitor, assuming it is the same size, the Brn goes on the capacitor labeled fan, Brn/ wht goes on capacitor labeled c (common), the black goes on the contactor where the capacitor common is and the white on the other side of the contactor(switched side of contactor). This should be right but please verify it from the motor diagram.
Thank you McGee!

I attached a photo of the wiring diagram. How would I switch the direction of the fan, swap the black and white wires? And you're saying to attach the white wire with the other side which is connected to the compressor and HERM connection on the capacitor?
Attached Thumbnails
Fasco D799 Condenser Fan Motor connections?-diagram.jpg  
Old 07-03-2014, 08:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 93

This is the easiest way. As the diagram says, get a new separate capacitor of proper size. The two brns go on the new capacitor, doesn't matter which side, then the black on one side of contactor and white on the other side( l1 and l2) on the switched side. To switch rotation you switch the yellow and orange as it says on motor to give you clock wise. It should be set up for counter clock wise now. The wires should just unplug. Determine rotation by looking at shaft.
McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to McGee For This Useful Post:
Taffer (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 08:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGee View Post
This is the easiest way. As the diagram says, get a new separate capacitor of proper size. The two brns go on the new capacitor, doesn't matter which side, then the black on one side of contactor and white on the other side( l1 and l2) on the switched side. To switch rotation you switch the yellow and orange as it says on motor to give you clock wise. It should be set up for counter clock wise now. The wires should just unplug. Determine rotation by looking at shaft.
Bah, I'm an idiot. I totally glazed over the four connected wires coming out of the other side. I already have everything wired as you stated so I'll test it out in a few and let you know how it goes. My brain just totally disregarded the other set of wires which were the colors I didn't originally list.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:37 PM   #6
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,270

the real question is whats the capacitor the old fan brown wire tied to, single or dual?

If dual then there's a common from line 2 from contactor to common of cap. In that case you use white wire from fan (common wire) to either common on cap or contactor and brown to fan terminal of cap and cap off brown/white wire as in do not use that wire.

if single fan cap than use black (hot/feed/line) to line one at contactor (usually a black wire 120 feed) and white to other side of contactor and use both brown fan wire to one side of fan cap and then brown/brown and white wire to other side.

easy peasy.
Taffer (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 11:10 PM   #7

Pretty much all done and working. I wired everything together and it did not work, and the end result was the breaker at the AC unit went bad somewhere between last Saturday and today. Luckily my friends brother was in town on vacation and is a master electrician and was only 10 minutes away. He double checked the connections and bypassed the breaker at the AC and we are up and running. We still have the back up breaker at the main panel, so I just need to get a new breaker tomorrow or Saturday. Now I'm just sitting here waiting for the house to start cooling down. I just wanted to get everything shut up and sealed before Hurricane Arthur passes by. It will only be a tropical storm here in VA Beach, but we'll definitely get a couple inches of rain in the next 36 hours.

Thanks again for everybody's input! It was greatly appreciated in getting the AC functioning again. When the wife's happy, everybody's happy!
Old 07-03-2014, 11:16 PM   #8
I'm Your Huckleberry

Back up breaker is the one at the condenser, the one now bypassed. Main circuit breaker is the one in the electrical breaker panel.

happens a lot, those old Square D service breakers wear out and can't make continuity once turned back on.

Do not replace that service disconnect with a breaker disconnect, make it a non fused pull out disconnect.

Cool..
COLDIRON (07-04-2014), Taffer (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 11:42 PM   #9

Thanks Doc,

I'll definitely make it a pull out circuit breaker. I never did like this switch type. It's too easy to accidentally leave it turned on where you can see the breaker is pulled and know you're safe!
Old 07-03-2014, 11:45 PM   #10

How long should it take for the unit to start cooling down the house? The house was 83 degrees about an 40 minutes ago, and it is now 82, and it outside temperature is 80...? Plus we have a window unit in one end of the house that is still assisting the main unit.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:04 AM   #11
I'm Your Huckleberry

varies, too many factors. I tell folk with broken down systems for a day or two until fixed to give it a 24 hour stabilization period once fixed but let them know they'll be sleeping comfortably the same night as repair.

it all depends.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
varies, too many factors. I tell folk with broken down systems for a day or two until fixed to give it a 24 hour stabilization period once fixed but let them know they'll be sleeping comfortably the same night as repair.

it all depends.
Thanks Doc!
I believe the coils in the air handler unit need to be cleaned. Come to find out the filters haven't been installed for a while and there is an indoor dog...is it (typically) possible to clean the coils without desoldering the joints etc. with a very soft bristle brush or vacuum?
Old 07-07-2014, 02:25 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 143

If it ran for very long without a filter, you will need some coil cleaner. Most A coils are very hard to access. I would open it up first.
Bitters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:38 AM   #14

Taffer,

Did you still use the new motor?
idontknowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:44 PM   #15

IDontKnowY,

Yes, I still use the motor and it is working perfectly! It runs about the same temperature as my previous motor, but it starts up every time like a champ! We moved out of the house this past week while work has been done and the circuit breaker tripped. I haven't found out why because the handyman doing the work assumed we had turned the AC off and never thought to check the breaker, or the electrician replaced the pull out breaker and didn't turn the breakers back on. Our previous outdoor breaker was just a normal on/off breaker that had gone bad and would not turn back on. A master electrician (my good friends brother) came out to look at the breaker and bypassed it until we could get it replaced. He was in the neighborhood on vacation and didn't have any parts or tools with him to fix it on the spot at 11:00 pm. If the motor has failed or is still working I'll try to post later to let you know.

Advertisement

Last edited by Taffer; 07-29-2014 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Additional information.