Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2012, 07:35 AM   #1

Share |

Fan turns off too soon

Hello all, new member and first post.
Several years ago the rental property down the street was abandoned and just last week a nice young couple bought the property. They must have bought it sight unseen because the crackhead renters destroyed just about everything before they left. Our new neighbors saw me coming down the street in my service truck and stopped me and asked for help.
The renters had taken the well pump and broke all the piping, removed the water heater, all the lights, the condenser, as much of the line set as they could, and then...here is the kicker... they opened the furnace and gutted it! It makes NO SENSE to me but they took everything except the heating elements.
I got the schematic (not sure why they left that) and a parts list and went down to CC Dickson and got everything on the list. Got back and followed the schematic line for line and reconnected the transformer, fan relay, two 60 amp breakers, the din rail that holds the breakers in place, the sequencers, and the capicator on the fan. (why would they take that?!!)
OK, so like I said, I followed the schematic line for line with the new wiring so I feel very comfortable that its right. I even used 150c wiring (stove wire) because CC Dickson only carried 90c and the unit called for at least 105c.
Start the unit up, it cycles on and wa~la we have heat. Unit cycles off and I hear "click". When the 24 drops off the W wire the fan relay turns off but I still have voltage at the sequencer for just a few more seconds and the overloads on the heat strips finally take the strips offline. It will sit there and cool down until the overloads reset then its ready to go again.
According to the schematic there is no connection to the normally closed contacts on the fan relay but I am thinking of adding one wire from the load side of the sequencer to the normally closed side of the fan relay. My thinking tells me that when the tstat is satisfied and voltage drops on the w wire that the NO contacts on the relay will open and the NC contacts will close. By adding the wire to the load side of the sequencer to the NC contact, the fan will continue to run until the sequencer opens and the heat strips have cooled down.
Am I correct in my thinking? Sorry for such a long post but I wanted to make sure I explained myself.
This is a "Central Electric Furnace"
Model# EB15B
Serial# WOB55562753

southernkilowat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Fan turns off too soon

In heating mode the fan should be energized from the same terminal as the first strip heater is.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #3

Fan turns off too soon

Yes, that is the way that Goodman wires them. Common would feed the motor.

Houston204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Fan turns off too soon

The model number he posted is a Coleman. Just in case you didn't recognize it.

But the fan being energized off the first stage strip terminal is a common wiring method for many manufacturers.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #5

Fan turns off too soon

I didn't think I would find Coleman so easily...

Houston204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #6

Fan turns off too soon

Thank you for the replies. I went back and checked my wiring and the schematic once more, and I added the jumper from the sequencer to the NC of the fan relay to no result. The schematic Houston204 posted is exactly what I'm working on. The ONLY thing I see different in this schematic and what I did is, I wired the fan relay terminal #5 to M6 on the sequencer or in other words to the TOP terminals of the double stack and not the BOTTOM of the stack. Will that make a difference? When the sequencer closes does it not bring on the top and bottom stack at the same time? Is this what I'm missing?

Thanks again
SK
Old 10-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
AKA HVACTECHFW

Fan turns off too soon

yes, the top stack is on a different time than the bottom stack.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #8

Fan turns off too soon

AHHHHHH!!! Thank you! I will try this and get back.