Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #1

Share |

Fan not kicking on

I have question about my gas furnace, I can here my furnace coming on but sometimes the fan won't turn on for hours. And the thermostat is set and I notice if I play with the thermostat or reset it the fan will come on after a little while. Like today I can hear click in the basement the furnace will run and get hot but no fan but keeping temp. But at night we will have the temp set but in the morning its 5-7 degrees colder than its set for. Any suggestions would be great.

Lou.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
how

Fan not kicking on

Tell us what furnace/ age/ model/ you have?
An older furnace that gets hot without the main fan coming on usually has a blower motor problem. Could be a motor needing to be changed or capaciter(if your lucky) or fan/limit controls or any related wiring.
If the furnace is newer then more variables get added to the equation. Do you have an led light flashing a diagnostic code in your furnace?

how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #3

Fan not kicking on

Thanks, it's a Goodman gui100-4 rev5, and I'm pretty sure its old. I didn't see any light indicators on it. I took the panel of it and I was watching and it, clicks for a while and then ignites and gets really hot but the fan did not come all day. The house has been at good temp all day.

Thanks
Old 11-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
how

Fan not kicking on

Not sure what that is?
Old means different things for different folks.
Does it have an inducer fan that comes on before it ignites?
Do you have a summer fan switch on the furnace?( rocker switch on the side of the cabinet or a white button sticking out of the fan /limit control.
Is the blower motor held within the blower assemble or is it external with a fan belt & pulleys?

A furnace that is adequately heating a house without a blower is probably depending on a limit control to prevent a house fire.

Last edited by how; 11-04-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #5

Fan not kicking on

There is no summer fan switch and the supply fan is all inside you can see a very little bit when looking through where the air filter goes. And there is a on/off switch on the side that goes to the furnace and up to the thermal switch.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
how

Fan not kicking on

You can turn off the power to the furnace and reach in try to see if the squirrel cage spins easily or is stiff to turn. If its tough to spin then the motor is at fault. If its easy to spin it could still be a failing motor, capaciter, or a number of other electrical problems.
Anything else requires the use of an electrical meter to see why the blower isn't coming on..
Old 11-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #7

Fan not kicking on

I just used something to get it there and it moved freely and I just got access to the back of the fan and found the capacitor. I have a multimeter how do I go about testing it? Power and continuity what should I be looking for?