Fan Motor For XE1200 Trane No Running But Have A Frustrating Problem - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fan motor for XE1200 Trane no running but have a frustrating problem

Hi everyone,

**** In the title "no running" should be "now running" *****

Thanks for all your tips and advice on repairing my Trane XE 1200 Weathertron Heat Pump fan motor.
If you recall I had an A/C tech come out who said the motor, defrost board and cap were shot. He quoted $1400+ to repair and was not conclusive that it was the problem.
I posted to this forum for options and based on your feedback I decided to send for a motor and cap and see if I could fix it.
Well the motor came but it needed a different cap. I sent for the new cap and got that a day or so ago.
Today I went ahead and fitted the new motor, it needed a little wiring change as it had extra wires (green earth and brown/white.) I taped off the brown/white and attached the green to the frame. I put in the new 5mfd cap and connected up the purple and brown to the run cap and the black to the defrost board. I started the system up and the fan ran :-)
I put the system into heat from the thermostat and hot air started comming out of the vents :-) The freon feed to the outside unit was hot to the touch and inside the unit the left side was cold and the right side was hot. I ran for about 15 mins and the house started heating up.
I then shut the system down and switched to cold mode. The freon feed to the outside unit was now cold and cold air was blowing from the vents.
I put the panels back in place on the outside unit and tightened all the screws. I will leave the unit off and next week get an a/c tech to comeout and do a PM on the system to make sure it is all ok. I won't tell him that I fixed it I just want to see if it passes inspection. Of course it won't be the same company that I called before although that would be fun :-)

Now for the frustrating bit.......

On top of the unit is a black plastic decorative disk that covers the motor bolts. It has 3 sets of plastic clips that fit in holes on the top panel. I can not get these to click into place. Does anyone have any tips on fitting this? I am tempted to cut off the clips and glue the thing in place :-)

Thanks again for everyone's input. I will keep you all posted as to what happens from here.

Advertisement

Last edited by spg112357; 01-07-2012 at 07:17 PM. Reason: bad title
spg112357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 514

Yeah those things are frustrating. It's been about 5 or 6 years since I fought one of those but I think I had to loosen the screws around the top or something like that.

Post some pictures and someone here may remember...

www.photobucket.com

Advertisement

Houston204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

Rewards Points: 500

Yes just take it to a near by trash can and throw it away. It is not a big deal to keep it on as long you unplug the drain hole for the motor.
Tator1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

If it was a universal motor
Tator1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #5

The OP is referring to the large cover over the entire top of the condenser.

It looks like the top shown in this picture...
Old 01-07-2012, 11:01 PM   #6

The cover that I am refering to is the 8 inch diameter black plastic disk that is in the center of the top panel.
Here is a photo of the unit and you can see the black disk in the center top. It is used to cover the bolts for the motor and stop the water going in. I guess with the drain plug removed, which I remembered to do, it may be ok without it, but not as pretty

Old 01-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #7

You can cut back the bolts and the cover will fit. (or leave it off)
Old 01-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spg112357 View Post
Hi everyone,

**** In the title "no running" should be "now running" *****

Thanks for all your tips and advice on repairing my Tirane XE 1200 Weathertron Heat Pump fan motor.
If you recall I had an A/C tech come out who said the motor, defrost board and cap were shot. He quoted $1400+ to repair and was not conclusive that it was the problem.
I posted to this forum for options and based on your feedback I decided to send for a motor and cap and see if I could fix it.
Well the motor came but it needed a different cap. I sent for the new cap and got that a day or so ago.
Today I went ahead and fitted the new motor, it needed a little wiring change as it had extra wires (green earth and brown/white.) I taped off the brown/white and attached the green to the frame. I put in the new 5mfd cap and connected up the purple and brown to the run cap and the black to the defrost board. I started the system up and the fan ran :-)
I put the system into heat from the thermostat and hot air started coming out of the vents :-) The freon feed to the outside unit was hot to the touch and inside the unit the left side was cold and the right side was hot. I ran for about 15 mins and the house started heating up.
I then shut the system down and switched to cold mode. The freon feed to the outside unit was now cold and cold air was blowing from the vents.
I put the panels back in place on the outside unit and tightened all the screws. I will leave the unit off and next week get an a/c tech to come out and do a PM on the system to make sure it is all OK. I won't tell him that I fixed it I just want to see if it passes inspection. Of course it won't be the same company that I called before although that would be fun :-)

Now for the frustrating bit.......

On top of the unit is a black plastic decorative disk that covers the motor bolts. It has 3 sets of plastic clips that fit in holes on the top panel. I can not get these to click into place. Does anyone have any tips on fitting this? I am tempted to cut off the clips and glue the thing in place :-)

Thanks again for everyone's input. I will keep you all posted as to what happens from here.
I have to give your props, thats not a typical DIY project, but you pulled it off.......great work !Personally I would be calling the company back that said you needed the board and demanding the service call fee back, since he was wrong............
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston204 View Post
You can cut back the bolts and the cover will fit. (or leave it off)
What a genius you are. Or what a I am I did not think that the bolts are so long that the reason it won't seat down is that the bolts are fouling on the cover

Where are my bolt cutters

Thanks
Old 01-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrider View Post
I have to give your props, thats not a typical DIY project, but you pulled it off.......great work !Personally I would be calling the company back that said you needed the board and demanding the service call fee back, since he was wrong............

Thank you it was a fun project and it taught me a lot.
It has whet my appetite.
I would like to learn how to do more diagnostics and do my own A/C repairs from now on. It would save me a packet. In the past 15 years I must have spent close to 10k - 15k That includes a replacement outside unit that had a fried compressor 10 years ago which knowing what I know now I may have been able to just replace the compressor and not the outside unit and heat exchanger in the air handler.

My issue is I am rotund (FAT) and have difficulty fitting in the attic to do the air handler work.

Thanks for the kudos and all the help.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #11

Ok cut off the bolts, sliced open a knuckle and now the cover fits Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #12

The air should blow out of the top of the outdoor unit.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston204 View Post
The air should blow out of the top of the outdoor unit.
The fan is rotating clockwise and the air is being blown out the top.

Is it the same in heat and cool?
Old 01-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #14

They will both be the same rotation.

Advertisement