DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Fan motor noise on a Trane HVAC

8K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  hvaclover 
#1 ·
My question is there any additional precautions to take in replacing a fan motor on my ac unit. I have a Trane High Efficiency Weathertron Heat Pump XE1000 with a fan 5KCP39FG R251S that is making a lot of noise. All indications point to a bad fan with possible bad bearings. I can see how it leads to the side panel and it looks like just has 3 wires to disconnect/connect. Is there anyway to revive the motor once it is making noise? Is there a grease or something that I can possibly use to make the noise go away. WD40? Please help

#2 ·
Those motors cannot be revived/lubricated. If you can get the exact Trane, OEM motor you can replace it yourself. Be careful with the fan blade as sometimes you need a special gear puller to remove it. If you bend it then it will wobble like mad and cause vibration later.

#3 ·
Thanks a lot for the advice

In waiting for a response, I removed the fan and turned it over and sprayed the shaft with WD40 to get me thru the night. I was surprised to hear the noise go away. I know it is only temporary, but I had to do something. It is 109 degrees here in Texas @ 9:37 in the evening. I will look for one online tomorrow. Everything is closed right now. Again thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.