Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #1

Share |

Fan / limiter switch replacement

What a wealth of knowlege on this site! I was hoping someone could give me a little advice. I have an old GE oil furnace model 21 that I have been pampering every year until i can afford to replace the system.

The fan/limiter switch has pretty much fallen apart, losing the plastic adjustment dial in the center. Now my blower fan is running constantly.

Obviously due to the age of the furnace, i wont find exact replacement parts. I was looking at replacing it with a honeywell L4064B2228.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/51..._limit_control

But im not sure about it. Can somebody let me know if the honeywell would work, and where to connect the wires, and what i should adjust it to when its installed? My system only has 3 wires, the black wire is jumped across both the fan and the limiter switch, red goes to the fan, and yellow to the limiter. If the honeywell wont work, is there a cross reference for one that would?

Thank You all for any help!

Chris

Cysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
REP

That is what GE (Trane) would have given you 30 years ago when they stopped making that unique F&L control.
The Honeywell will be the opposite I.E. the black wire will go on the bottom.I'm not sure about the red and yellow wire.I think the red is fan and the yellow is limit but I am not certain its been a long time.Just follow the wiring diagram on the furnace pannel and it will show you what is what.

REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cysnake View Post
What a wealth of knowlege on this site! I was hoping someone could give me a little advice. I have an old GE oil furnace model 21 that I have been pampering every year until i can afford to replace the system.

The fan/limiter switch has pretty much fallen apart, losing the plastic adjustment dial in the center. Now my blower fan is running constantly.

Obviously due to the age of the furnace, i wont find exact replacement parts. I was looking at replacing it with a honeywell L4064B2228.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/51..._limit_control

But im not sure about it. Can somebody let me know if the honeywell would work, and where to connect the wires, and what i should adjust it to when its installed? My system only has 3 wires, the black wire is jumped across both the fan and the limiter switch, red goes to the fan, and yellow to the limiter. If the honeywell wont work, is there a cross reference for one that would?

Thank You all for any help!

Chris
yes it should work... wiring changes I think not sure just look at diagram with unit it will tell you..
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
how

Your black wire on your old control is the power supply for new honeywell fan/limit control. The color coding for your fan & limit controls suprises me. If you are sure which is which then the honey well control is marked with fan & limit for the two connections furthest from where the lines enter the control.. Leave the breakable jumper in place.
If you are not absolutely sure which is the fan line and which is the limit line .......Follow your red & yellow line from your old fan/limit control to the next junction box that the jacketed cable goes to. The limit will go to the burner or to power the transformer while the fan line will go to the blower.

Last edited by how; 04-17-2012 at 07:24 PM.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #5

Thanks everyone! I wouldve thought the reverse for the black wire. I was 99% sure that wouldve been the ground because it was connected to both. Ive torn this furnace apart and rebuilt it so many times, but this is the first time ive hhad to deal witth the switch. Hopefully i can be of some assistance to you all in the future! The red wire should be the fan, atleast thats what it says on the microswitch its.connected to and same for the yellow. Thanks Again!
Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to Cysnake For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (04-17-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #6
how

Yeah, it's connected to both as a common power source for both switches. The new honeywell control uses the same set up except it uses a small built in brass jumper to connect both controls.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #7

Ok, one more small snag. Just measured and i have a 3" insertion limit. Can anyone recommend a different switch? The one i was looking at is a 5" insertion.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #8
how

Is it a 5" vent pipe? If so, perhaps a couple of washers around the probe will allow the honeywell control to work.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:08 AM   #9
REP

If you indeed hit the heat exchanger with that 5" incertion at the spot the old F&L was located,you will have to relocate it in the plenum as close to the heat exchanger as possible.It won't look pretty but it will work and it is what GE told people to do in exactly your situation.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #10

In my first pic of the furnace i just realized that coming off the pipe in the front is another fan limiter switch that is not connected, is this an acceptable place to mount a new switch, or could i drill through the plate in the back of the old switch hole to accomodate for a 5" insertion instead of a 3"?
Old 04-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #11
REP

That relay is not a fan limiter switch,it is a pyrostat which is a safty switch for the burner.
If when you try to incert the 5" probe ,you hit the heat exchanger,you cannot use the F&L in that spot.
If you were to try to drill in that spot you would damage the heat exchanger.
See my above reply to see where to put that honeywell F&L if you can't put it where the old one was.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Check into a camstat fan limit switch. they have 3" inserts.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:40 AM   #13

Ill check into the camstats. Thanks Again!
Old 04-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #14
Part of the Clover Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Check into a camstat fan limit switch. they have 3" inserts.
Not rated to be in oil flue path.
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #15
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
Not rated to be in oil flue path.
he's talking about the old fan limit, not the old stack control he also has. Which looks to have already been disconnected when the put a new burner in.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote