Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fake bathroom ventilation

Hello,

We have a 1967 home where the previous owner installed a basement bathroom, with a shower. I was replacing the ventilation fan when I discovered the fan only exhausts into the ceiling space. (The flexible hose only goes about two feet and ends.)

There is no bedroom in the basement, so the shower is rarely used. One option is to bring in an HVAC guy and run a duct about 8 feet to the outside wall, where we would have to cut a hole. Option #2 is continue to vent into the space, which I know is a bad idea. Option #3 is to go about 8 feet the other direction and vent it into my unfinished workroom, which is about 12 by 14 feet.

I have a lot of other projects and I need to save some money. Keeping in mind that the shower is rarely used, will option #3 work? At least for a few years?

Many thanks,

Joe

Jdgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 554

That option will work. You're just trying to make the situation in the bathroom better (remove warm, humid air), and this will disperse it to another area where it will circulate throughout the house.

This isn't any worse than having your stove/oven on when you are running the AC or opening the fridge when your furnace is running.

cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 77

The correct answer is option #1, run a duct about 8 feet to the outside wall, where we would have to cut a hole. It is always a good idea to get all humid. moist air out of a house. This should be a really simple DIY project. You could use a flexible insulated duct to run from the exhaust fan to the outside wall. Cut the appropriate size hole in the wall and install a termination cap on the hose.
firedawgsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firedawgsatx For This Useful Post:
joecaption (08-23-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #4

i agree. run it to the outside.
you could run it to another spot in the house, but why put off what you will later want to do differently.
a basement is not a place for moist air, and you can run a vent pretty easily, even down size it to workable size if it happens to be a larger size.
trawilson01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses! I appreciate the advice.
Jdgraf is offline   Reply With Quote