DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Extra wall register in bedroom: seal up or relocate?

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  pmoe 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

I'm wanting to create a closet in my master bedroom. There just happens to be a wall register where I want to place the closet:

The bottom part is sealed up with a barrier. I believe the duct continues to a floor register in the attic.

However, there is another wall register in this room as well, inconveniently located behind the door and shared with the adjacent bedroom:

Seems like the only two options are to relocate the register (possibly difficult) or to seal it up and let it feed the attic, then drywall over it.

The latter would be preferable, but I want to make sure I will get enough heat (and AC, in season) from the register behind the door before I commit to that plan.

I will measure the room in a moment, but it's roughly 12x12, if memory serves.

Advice?

See less See more
#2 ·
Covering it up is not a problem. You configuration is not uncommon for older homes. Newer homes would not be set up the same way.

There are several ways to make this work in your situation.

You could cover it over (I suggest getting some tin and screwing it over the opening with some silicone to seal it real good) or you could put in a vent that will open and close so you could have it there if needed for heating/cooling.

Either way works for me and I have done both in the past.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.