DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

extending my direct vent exhaust tube

11K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  econoline 
#1 ·
I just had a new furnace put in with the exhast out the side of the home. I noticed I am getting a moist area and icicles coming out of the soffit vent directly above the exghaust vent. This has never happened in 30 years.

I'm starting to think the furnace exhaust is causing the problem.

I noticed that the exhaust steam rises directly up to where that vent is, so I was thinking about buying a section of PVC tube and a connector to temporarily extend the exhaust out a few feet (say six feet) more away from the house during icicle season.

Any reason to be concerned? Can I ruin my furnace?

Nobody goes back there in the winter.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
If you do determine from the manufacturer that it can be extended, do yourself a favor and :

1) keep an eye on it to make sure it does not get clogged with ice
2) install a carbon monoxide detectors in your house (1 near sleeping room and 1 near furnace)

if the vent gets clogged , carbon monoxide can be vented into your house killing you and your family in their sleep.

#6 ·
first off your vent in the soffit needs to be blocked off....When I installed my direct vent boiler the explicet instructions were x-amount of feet from any vents (openings, windows and doorways included) and it sounds like you are too close to your attic vent...
heat...in the form of burnt gasses...carbon monoxide...is causing the condensate in the attic and it is freezing as it drips out...
hope you have CO detectors in the home...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.