Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

extending hot water heat to addition

Hi -- new here and first post! I'm planning an addition and need to extend my current hot water heat in. the furnace/boiler is adequate in size so that is not an issue. I plan on using radiators vs. baseboard like the rest of the house. I'm planning a crawlspace foundation, which will be about 2' lower than the main structure. I'm worried that the new pipes will be lower than the rest of the system and create issues when the system needs to be drained, and also in circulating the water to the new radiators? thx

yellowkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,062

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowkid View Post
Hi -- new here and first post! I'm planning an addition and need to extend my current hot water heat in. the furnace/boiler is adequate in size so that is not an issue. I plan on using radiators vs. baseboard like the rest of the house. I'm planning a crawlspace foundation, which will be about 2' lower than the main structure. I'm worried that the new pipes will be lower than the rest of the system and create issues when the system needs to be drained, and also in circulating the water to the new radiators? thx
Ayuh,... As far as circulatin,' the elevation difference won't matter in the least, once the system is refilled, bled, pressurized, 'n runnin'....

If you think you'll ever need to drain the loop, ya,.. ya need a drain at the lowest point...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
beenthere (12-15-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,094

Cant you just put a T on the end of the loop, and run the pipe out to a curb cock outside the foundation? That will be your system drain. The pump will handle a 2 ft. head on the return with no problem. Bleed at the radiators, no?
jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:05 AM   #4

depending on the size of the addition might want to use zone control and make it a seperate zone
mrairflow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrairflow For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-15-2012)
Old 12-15-2012, 07:30 AM   #5
Items wanted: Time

Rewards Points: 150

If it's for freeze protection, just run glycol through it, just make sure you can isolate each loop separately.
NiNe O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #6

excellent thx gentlemen! was thinking too that i should just add a drain at the lowest point in the addition. I think the original setup was gravity but now I've got a circulation pump
Old 12-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
Thread killer

Rewards Points: 266

Is it a pump added to an old gravity system or has all the piping been changed to a forced water supply? It will make a difference on how you supply the addition depending on what you already have.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,336

if your going to use radiatiors over baseboard ..may consider installing a zone valve for the addition... and t stat..ben sr.......sorry same thought ..as another should have read all post...

Last edited by ben's plumbing; 12-17-2012 at 07:34 PM. Reason: can't read
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #9

the boiler/pump etc is all new, the two main lines are original to the system but all the lines to the radiators throughout the house are new 3/4 copper. my guess is I need to run larger lines out to the addition with branches to the new radiators? looking at 3-4 new radiators in the addition. again thx for the help -- this is really helpful!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #10
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,062

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowkid View Post
the boiler/pump etc is all new, the two main lines are original to the system but all the lines to the radiators throughout the house are new 3/4 copper. my guess is I need to run larger lines out to the addition with branches to the new radiators? looking at 3-4 new radiators in the addition. again thx for the help -- this is really helpful!
Ayuh,... If it's gonna be a separate zone, with it's own control, T at the pump, 'n add another pump, 'n run 3/4" or 1" pex through to the addition, 'n feed yer radiators...

What kinda boiler,..?? Gas,..?? What controls,..??

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote